Summer of Creative Chemistry

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
azemigh

Summer of Creative Chemistry

Post by azemigh »

This is starting today over at onlinecardclasses.com and I just wondered if anyone else is going to join in. June and July will be revisiting Creative Chemistry 101 and 102 and then 103 will start Aug 1. I am going to try and play along and hopefully tie in with some of our cyber crops here.
paddlegal

Re: Summer of Creative Chemistry

Post by paddlegal »

Yes I got my email this morning about that. Now I just need to remember my password over there. :lol:
It's been so long I can't remember what we did in class.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

paddlegal wrote:Yes I got my email this morning about that. Now I just need to remember my password over there. :lol:

They revamped the website Farley - you might need to get a new password.
I had a devil of a time getting back in, but that was a month ago and Kristina was super helpful.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I saw the information about it on the website a few weeks ago and on TH's blog. I took the past two courses, and then was very disappointed to see him do the exact same techniques on his monthly tags and elsewhere afterwards. My take on this is "why bother to pay for what he's going to give away?" Sorry, Timmy, but you're not getting my money this time. I'll take another watercolor class or Shimelle class.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

nancine wrote:
paddlegal wrote:Yes I got my email this morning about that. Now I just need to remember my password over there. :lol:

They revamped the website Farley - you might need to get a new password.
I had a devil of a time getting back in, but that was a month ago and Kristina was super helpful.

Yes, I had to reset my password but I am back in OCC. Which is dangerous. I see some classes ai might want to add.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

pbp908 wrote:I saw the information about it on the website a few weeks ago and on TH's blog. I took the past two courses, and then was very disappointed to see him do the exact same techniques on his monthly tags and elsewhere afterwards. My take on this is "why bother to pay for what he's going to give away?" Sorry, Timmy, but you're not getting my money this time. I'll take another watercolor class or Shimelle class.
Very true Pam... and I believe the third class will be focused on the Distress Crayons and after trying them out a little bit at the LSS I wasn't overly impressed.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

His Distress Crayons have gotten bad reviews and don't look good at all in comparison with others. I am really getting over TH. Still love the inks, but I'm just heading in another direction now.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

I'll probably play along as much as I can. I never actually finished CC102, so will see if this will give me the oomph to do that.

And Farley.... I ended up signing up for a couple classes when I first logged onto their revamped site! Still need to actually go thru them, though.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I would be curious to know your feedback on the class. They've been great for learning techniques to use supplies I already have. I have watercolor crayons (Caran d'arche - or whatever) and gellatos. I wonder if they would be good substitutions for what he does in this class?
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I took Creative Chemistry 101 but never signed up for 102. I read on a thread today that you have to do the courses successively; in other words if you didn't do 102 you can't sign up for 103, and if you didn't do 101 you can't sign up for 102. Which is actually okay with me; I figure 103 will likely cover his newer products and I haven't jumped on board with Distress Crayons, Spray Stains, etc. That said, I do plan on looking at the 101 refresher posts because I figure they'll be good art journal background prompts - and heaven knows I have LOTS of older TH products which I do still love.
My recollection is that we really delved into the properties of the various products in 101 and learned all the things they could do; for a change it was a class I fully completed. As for comparing his products to others, i.e. Distress Crayons to Gelatos, Tim usually won't comment - and I get that, as he's trying to sell his own products.
As I've already got several projects on the go and recent classes that I want to get through and because I'm back to work in another couple weeks, I'll probably pass on this at the moment.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

This is the last week of the review for CC 102. 103 starts on Monday. I chose to use the sticky powder with leafing technique from 102 for the last week and my favorite tulip stamp from CS Nature's Wonders kit.
Attachments
StickyPowderLeafCard2.jpg
StickyPowderLeafCard2.jpg (141.26 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
StickyPowderLeafCard1.jpg
StickyPowderLeafCard1.jpg (139.25 KiB) Viewed 1170 times
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Wow Rachelle, you are terrific for sticking with that class. Very cool cards. It's amazing how that tulip stamp just keeps going and going. That must have been one of the most popular CS stamps ever. What a fun spin on it. Terrific backgrounds too. Now what have I done with that bag of foiling flakes?

I took a class Wednesday night on foiling with that sticky powder among other stickum stuff. I finally feel confident using it. It's a bit tricky heating it up just enough, isn't it? I recall taking an actual class from Tim and being very intimidated with that stuff. Now I like using it.
FARLEY in Sacramento
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

paddlegal wrote:Wow Rachelle, you are terrific for sticking with that class. Very cool cards. It's amazing how that tulip stamp just keeps going and going. That must have been one of the most popular CS stamps ever. What a fun spin on it. Terrific backgrounds too. Now what have I done with that bag of foiling flakes?

I took a class Wednesday night on foiling with that sticky powder among other stickum stuff. I finally feel confident using it. It's a bit tricky heating it up just enough, isn't it? I recall taking an actual class from Tim and being very intimidated with that stuff. Now I like using it.
Yes, I really took to heart Tim's hints on being ready to put the foil or glitter or whatever on the sticky powder right away. That seems to be the key.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

azemigh wrote:
paddlegal wrote:Wow Rachelle, you are terrific for sticking with that class. Very cool cards. It's amazing how that tulip stamp just keeps going and going. That must have been one of the most popular CS stamps ever. What a fun spin on it. Terrific backgrounds too. Now what have I done with that bag of foiling flakes?

Yes, I really took to heart Tim's hints on being ready to put the foil or glitter or whatever on the sticky powder right away. That seems to be the key.

Exactly! I also learned to really see what that powder should look like when you heat it and it's ready to slap on the foil. Now I might actually venture into some glitter. I've always shied away from the stuff.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I love your color combinations!
Pam Cook #48