CC102 Day 1

Are you a Tim Holtz fan? We are!
Monica

Re: CC102 Day 1

Post by Monica »

I've done 3 tags so far... will post pictures later today. I'm not super happy with the marbling technique... mine ended up looking kind of muddied even though Tim indicated that they won't turn muddy. :? Oh well. Trial and error I suppose!!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Monica wrote:I've done 3 tags so far... will post pictures later today. I'm not super happy with the marbling technique... mine ended up looking kind of muddied even though Tim indicated that they won't turn muddy. :? Oh well. Trial and error I suppose!!
Monica - Donna Downey pointed out to us that warm colors mixed with cool colors will always look muddied. Is that what happened?
Pam Cook #48
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I made one tag so far and the leaves I have another tag ready to finish.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Monica

Post by Monica »

Marbling technique:

And a finished tag:

This is an interesting technique, but I felt like it did muddy colors a bit contrary to what Tim said about them not doing that. I need to play around with it a bit more to decide whether I truly like it or not. I did like the look and feel of the paint after it was dry.

On the finished tag, I didn't have black glitter so I ended up using Rock Candy glitter and coloring it with black soot Distress ink when the glossy accents had dried. Turned out pretty cool, so I will definitely be trying that again! Oh, I applied black soot Distrsss paint to the bat & cat prior to applying glitter, and seedless preserves to the "31", although I had matching glitter for that one! (always buy purple first! ;) )

By the way.... I used a white Sakura gelly roll pen for the skeleton's highlights and it worked wonderfully. ;)
Monica

Post by Monica »

Colored Crackle:

This one was fun, and I'll likely do it again! I used stain rather than ink to highlightthe cracks, as I think it makes them stand out a bit more.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Altered Surfaces:

Not sure whether I like this one or not. I kept moving the heat gun away while drying per Tim's instructions, and the end result doesn't really look much like his IMO. I'm thinking it needs more trial and error to get it right. I was probably too focused on not overheating the plastic.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Industrial:

This one I definitely enjoyed and can see myself doing again. Easy peasy!
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Here are 2 items I did but they are not finished. I only have 3 colors to work with
I put before and after tag 1
Attachments
tag-1.jpg
tag-1.jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 595 times
tag1.jpg
tag1.jpg (70.79 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
nancine

Post by nancine »

Monica, when I started reading I thought "the one on the left looks so Halloween!" and as I scrolled, darned if you didn't turn it into a cool halloween tag! And Jill got some pretty good pieces too, even with limited colors.

I am so hesitant to buy more of these paints, although these new Distress paints seem to work better than the Adirondack paint Dabbers. I don't have hours to devote to playing and experimenting and it seems that most of these things never turn out the way they do for Tim when I do them. :lol:

Was it Pam C. who said that all of his products seem to need to be used together, not "stand alone"? I totally agree with that - but ofcourse I have darn near every distress ink pad so it's not a problem incorporating them into the project.

I've only watched the first video today while having my tea this morning. It felt like an infomercial, and probably stuff I've seen from CHA videos! But he is a great teacher and i like having all the info in one place without having to search for it.

Today I'm off to the LSS at 11 am for my monthly "Renegade Stampers" get together, I have my Simon Says Stamp October card kit to work with and my Mom has requested some more blank, thank you and birthday cards for her stash! I must resist the Distress paints when I am in the store :roll:
Monica

Post by Monica »

Not that this will help your resistance, but the Distress paints don't have filler like the Adirondack dabbers do, so they are a much more fluid and easy-to-work-with paint. Given the option of purchasing one or the other, I'd definitely go with the Distress paint. I have both types and found that the adirondack paint thickened up too fast in the bottles, due to the fillers per Tim, and the Distress paints won't have that issue. I also learned that if I don't use the crackle paint it will also harden in the bottle. Grrr. This is why I love my Dreamweavers stencil pastes; they are 10+ years old and still work as well as the day I bought them!!! I just don't use things up as fast as I evidently should. :roll: :lol:
Monica

Post by Monica »

pamcook wrote:
Monica wrote:I've done 3 tags so far... will post pictures later today. I'm not super happy with the marbling technique... mine ended up looking kind of muddied even though Tim indicated that they won't turn muddy. :? Oh well. Trial and error I suppose!!
Monica - Donna Downey pointed out to us that warm colors mixed with cool colors will always look muddied. Is that what happened?
It's possible.... although the Distress paints are a tad different from regular acrylics, which is why he said they won't turn muddy. I need to watch the video again and see what colors Tim chose for the sample.

I did have better luck with the Hallowen colors, although I need to use a lot less black next time!
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Well, you gals are off to the races. Love those leaves. And I'm crazy about that industrial look embossing folder. I want.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I got to do some serious playing today. I must say, I resisted buying the distress paints, only because I thought, oh no, not another thing to store, but after watching the videos, I really wanted to give them a try......so, a little trip to Rosie's this morning and I have 8 of them to play with, (no metallics though, they're not in yet), oh well, I'll save that technique or figure something else out.

Here is the marbled distress paint technique, with and without ink. And the distress paint resist. I actually like them both and will definitely use them in the future. I had no problem with the paint muddying, however, I kept my purchase of paint on the lighter side, so maybe darker paints have more of that problem.
Attachments
MarbledDistressPaint.jpg
MarbledDistressPaint.jpg (27.3 KiB) Viewed 611 times
MarbledDistressPaintInked.jpg
MarbledDistressPaintInked.jpg (26.36 KiB) Viewed 611 times
DistressPaintResist.jpg
DistressPaintResist.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 611 times
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

You all have done a wonderful job on these. I'm really not looking at his videos at all but enjoy seeing what you all do. I know many of you really like him but I am over him (at least for now). I used to love doing the Christmas tags but for me he has taken all the fun out of it. That is really the only time I like doing the tags.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Duh! What a dork! After whining about having none of these Distress Paints, this morning I found five colors in my garage craft station. Seals unbroken, of course. So perhaps the reason I didn't recall having them. I just KNEW I loved these techniques when the paints were released so I couldn't figure out why I hadn't purchased them. Well, I did. I guess that's really a sign of my aging brain.