Back from the Middle Ages

azemigh

Back from the Middle Ages

Post by azemigh »

We just got back from a whirlwind trip to the Middle Ages last week. I can't believe we drove to and from Arizona and attended an SCA event in 8 days. No wonder I'm still recovering. Anyway, we had a fabulous time and I have lots of pictures to scrap. Started with the day our host camp did a demo of their clay furnace for creating glass beads. They are in the middle of creating the furnace and didn't actually get a bead this time, but they did get the furnace up to about 1500 degrees, (they need to get to 1800) and got a lot of input on improvements to make to reach their goal. Part of certifying things in the SCA is documenting the process of how you got there, and it's fun to share that at events.

I used Moroccan Spice for this layout. I'm holding the umbrella for shade over the person on the bellows.
Attachments
SCABeadOven12j.jpg
SCABeadOven12j.jpg (121.75 KiB) Viewed 767 times
Keitha

Re: Back from the Middle Ages

Post by Keitha »

Wow - sounds and looks like a great trip! Can't wait to see more of it.
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

What an interesting week, Rachelle! Moroccan Spice is the perfect kit for your photos. What does S C A stand for?
Kathryn.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Welcome home!
Pretty layout. I'm looking forward to seeing all those photos.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Terrific LO of a very interesting week. Fast work after such a big trip! Looking forward to seeing more of them.
FARLEY in Sacramento
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

katymjo wrote:What an interesting week, Rachelle! Moroccan Spice is the perfect kit for your photos. What does S C A stand for?
Kathryn.
SCA stands for Society for Creative Anachronism; it's a worldwide organization of people who meet periodically and try to live as if it was before 1600. We dress in period garb and do hand crafts and there are huge fighting melee's with both rapier and hard suit fighting. I have a few pics of my son fighting in a rapier tournament, but it was really hot and I wasn't able to stand it for much of the fighting. I will have to get some pics from other people who went to scrap that. This was Arizona's annual event called Estrella War and involved the Kingdom of Atenveldt (which is all of Arizona) against all the other kingdoms in the US. We are from the kingdom of An Tir, (which covers the Pacific Northwest and B.C.) We will be going to the big event here in Oregon over Memorial Day called Egels.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Great layouts and really sounds interesting.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO