Humpback whale

Keitha

Humpback whale

Post by Keitha »

My upcoming trip to Alaska had me wondering if we'll see whales, hence the subject of this page. I'm constantly surprised when I do one of these, at the details I learn as I'm drawing and researching notes. We're probably all aware that no two whales' flukes are the same, making them a useful tool for identification. What I didn't realize was that photographic Fluke ID catalogs abound the world over, helping researchers track their movements and age, if photos were recorded while it was a calf. I also learned that in Southeast Alaska, 70% of whales' flukes are almost all black, different than the Atlantic whales I've seen previously. In that case other identifiers such as the trailing edge of the flukes and also the notch where they meet in the middle aid in identification. Okay, lesson over ;)
My 'watery' background was done by laying cling wrap over the paint while wet and letting it dry. I do not recommend doing this without first masking your main image - ask me how I know!
Attachments
DSCN4819_r.jpg
DSCN4819_r.jpg (204.38 KiB) Viewed 601 times
katymjo

Re: Humpback whale

Post by katymjo »

What a beautiful page for your travel journal, Keitha. That "cling wrap" technique makes superb water!
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

That's so cool! Nicely done!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Wonderful job on that page. I think whales are so very interesting. I hope you are able to see them.

I remember our trip to Hawaii and going out on one of the boat tours. We were all curious as to whether we would see any whales. They told us most likely not since this was April they were pretty much gone. Low and behold we did get lucky enough to see a mother and her calf. They actually came right under our boat. Very cool, but kind of scary.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Wow Keitha! Your whale drawings are outstanding and beautifully done...you really have talent. Love the water technique also. What a great journal page.

Fascinating about the whale flukes and how it IDs them. This reminds me of IDing Buteos (Red-tailed Hawks, Red-shouldered Hawks, Swainson’s Hawks to name a few in that family) and how wing and tails are big field marks in identification.

Isn’t nature great?
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

:clap:
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Great job and if you take a whale watching trip at Juneau you are almost guaranteed. We saw about 50 that were bubble feeding (if you don't know what that is search youtube) and it was amazing. Well worth the dollars spent.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Beautiful. Whales are so fascinating.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

nicely done and interesting
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Monica

Post by Monica »

Very cool! Whales are really neat.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Beautiful drawings, Keitha! Such a wonderful subject. My daughter-in-law does volunteer work for Cascadia Research and her main subject is identifying whales by their flukes. She recognizes them readily now when they send her a new batch of photos for identification.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

That turned out beautifully! I love that cling wrap on paint technique.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

What a great addition to your scrapping that page will be - you did a beautiful job painting those whales.