Wildflower page

Keitha

Wildflower page

Post by Keitha »

I'm clearing my table today to get ready for, ahem, Christmas cards, and realized I didn't share the last page I made for my naturalist journal. The rainbow-bordered black page is a Jacqueline Newbold classic; here it highlights a walk this past summer searching out wildflowers. I always thought they'd be easier to draw than birds because they don't fly away; not so much. I've been lusting after some Posca paint pens but they're darn expensive here, so I picked up some Dylusions paint pens to try. I don't love them, although that might be the colour choices. I also used some Sakura Glaze pens which I do love - especially the white which IMO is far superior to either the Uniball Signo or the Ranger Inkssentials on this surface. For my Wildflower Walk title I used a TH Christmas word stencil which happens to have every letter of the alphabet except Q, X and Z; pretty handy. The page on the left is the back side of a page already painted so lies flat; eventually I'll finish the back of the right side to flatten it as well. The tag is a list of all the wildflowers the four of us could later remember seeing.
Attachments
DSCN4536_r.jpg
DSCN4536_r.jpg (221.12 KiB) Viewed 510 times
pat-czap

Re: Wildflower page

Post by pat-czap »

Beautiful Keitha. Love the colors.

The Yarrow brings back memories, in a bad way. One of our homes had this when we moved in, and boy it spreads like crazy.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Sounds like a fun walk. I'd love to go with you so I could bring some plants home for my herb garden.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I am so impressed Keitha! Your drawings are wonderful. What a great way to experiment with drawing utensils.

I am ashamed that I haven’t done much in the way of a pictorial bird journal other than to write down the species I see each time I am out.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

great pages and the drawings are very nice
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

My favorite part is the map going down through the text on the left page. It must be so hard to draw and color on black pages and these look really bright and clear. :clap:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

Oh wow Keitha, this is fabulous! Love that you did it on black paper. It really pops. Thanks for sharing.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

How wonderful!
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Perhaps I should explain that I started with heavyweight watercolour paper; the colour wash was added first. Then I masked off the edge and painted the page with black gesso. It makes a wonderful surface for opaque paint and ink - and the beauty is if you make a mistake you just paint over it with black gesso and start again.

Clearing off my desk I came across a business card where the name of the company was done in a rainbow wash against a black background. Same idea; I'm going to try that as well, masking watercoloured letters and then painting over them with black gesso.
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

What a beautiful wild-flower ramble, Keitha. We enjoy seeing so many of "your" flowers on our Yorkshire walks.
Kathryn.
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Great job on those Keitha! Tried reading your wildflowers but 2 caught my eye, Primrose & Columbine! Love them both.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO