Good luck on move
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pat-czap

Re: My housing story

Post by pat-czap »

Thanks Jill. Unfortunately, the job here required Greg to work 7 days a week, with long hours...something had to change.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I missed this thread when it was first posted. Pat - I'm glad everything is working out for you, and I hope that there doesn't have to be a house #12. But you know what first popped into my head? I've been catching a lot of those "Tiny House" shows on HGTV over the past couple of years - I think IF there is a house #12, you need to build yourself a house on a trailer and just tow the whole house from state to state. :lol:

I'm kind of with Pam C - I'm so emotionally tied to my house right now, that I'd be utterly devastated if we had to move for any reason. But also, I can't even wrap my head around how many boxes and trucks the whole thing would require. We have too much stuff. :oops:
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

jfugina wrote: But also, I can't even wrap my head around how many boxes and trucks the whole thing would require. We have too much stuff. :oops:
Getting rid of stuff is really difficult. We have taken 5 truck loads of stuff to the dump and the garage is full of yard sale stuff. I hope this one is our last move.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Good luck to you too, Cheryl! Congratulations on the massive purge - I can't imagine my family agreeing to part with 1 truckload of stuff, much less 5.
Julie Fugina
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Julie...moving a lot helps "some" when it comes to stuff... ;) Getting rid of stuff is fairly easy, except my craft items. We have held onto a lot of the guys books, legos, some toys...just because. We have no basement at current home, so we had to rent a storage room. We reduced that a bit and got a smaller room. Then we simply emptied our rented room into a large room at the house as we have 5 bedrooms. Since both sons moved out of this house, I have a sewing room and a craft room...score!

The thing that gets me the most are the yards, and all the hard work we put in with planting, etc. Some homes we never get to see things mature.

We stayed 5 years in O'Fallon, MO and 7 years in Port Washington, WI...those were the exceptions.

I've enjoyed living in all these different homes, so I have the memories. I think I like to focus on areas we have lived in, and the scenery, location, etc. Some places have been lovely spots.

I don't see myself ever living in a tiny house...but a deluxe Airstream or some other beauty, yes.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I sympathize with you on the yard. I miss seeing the maturity once you've put all that work in. And now I live in one of those tiny houses on wheels in the middle of a forest so I don't have to worry about being attached to the house or the yard. :lol:

Good luck in your new digs!
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I know my family could never "go tiny", and I'd never survive it even with just Rob and me. But I watch those shows and am convinced that were I single, I could absolutely live in something that small and be pretty happy. Of course, I have no desire to be without my family, so no tiny house for me either.

I do have big dreams of owning a very nice travel trailer by the time Rob and I retire though. I have every intention of spending weeks at a time moving around the country, and then coming home for a few months until the wanderlust kicks in again or until we want to seek out a different climate. :-)
Julie Fugina
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I don't think I could ever go tiny either but purging does feel good. Did I mention that I took a car full of supplies to one of the homes near here for handicapped people. I am not going to do any more purging in my craft room until after we move.

Pat I agree with you about the plantings. I miss seeing the things we put in but at this point in my life I don't feel like dealing with a yard. We are not looking at any place with more than 1/4 acre. and since we are looking in 55+ they take care of the yard.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Rachelle, I remember you have a tiny house, which caused me to revisit your blog. What is the square footage of your home? I do like that you have a bedroom, and don't have to climb a ladder to sleep. You certainly got a lot of bang for your buck with the design features.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pat-czap

Re: My housing story...picture added

Post by pat-czap »

BTT :D
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Just noticed the picture added! Looks great!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Another beautiful home. Are you doing the landscaping or having it done? It's a ton of work for sure!
nancine

Post by nancine »

Great house, love the windows out front and bet it's even prettier w/lawn!
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Debbie...Part of the appeal to new construction homes is putting your touch on it...like landscaping ..at least we keep telling ourselves that.

I'm fairly certain that we will do a lot...just not sure how our energy will hold out. We will not have any strong bodied sons with us either...but Greg can still dig a great hole. ;)
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA