Back to Birding

paddlegal

Re: Back to Birding

Post by paddlegal »

ScrappinJen wrote:Whoa, Farley, you must have scared them off. Just back from a ride around Lake Natoma. Didn't see a single gull. Saw lots of geese and ducks, an egret or two and a heron. And some deer. But no gulls.

I composed this as I rode around so I must be honest and tell you that when I finally got around to the Aquatic Center, I finally spotted about 100 of them. But that's it.

The Placer County water rescue team was having lessons there. So perhaps they scared them off.

The 20,000 we noted Saturday were on Folsom Lake and that was late afternoon as this time of year they roost on the lake at night. Natoma was more like 300 or 400. Next time bring some popcorn and scatter it at the water's edge. You'll see plenty...just don't let a ranger see you doing that. :lol:

Great day for you to be out cycling around the lake.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I was at Folsom Lake one time. 1991? There was a severe drought that year, as well.
Pam Cook #48
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

It looked like a moonscape then. As it does now.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

ScrappinJen wrote:It looked like a moonscape then. As it does now.

At Granite Bay we actually drove down and well past the boat ramp to get closer to the water. But it's back to 62% of its capacity which is a huge improvement over last month.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Farley, you absolutely should scrap this. As a hobby, birding is a part of what makes you unique. And for anyone looking at your pages in future it helps send the message that these birds are important enough to document; I won't go into all the reasons why learning about and protecting our natural environment are essential. I look forward to seeing your pages.