Puppy Love Cards

jfugina

Re: Puppy Love Cards

Post by jfugina »

OK, so here's a question that might clue you in to why I'm so impressed. How on earth did you heat emboss after it was cut, without the tree blowing all over the place? I remember that when I heat emboss (which I don't do often), I nearly burn my fingertips off trying to hold the paper in place so it doesn't blow away. Sometimes I'm clever enough to find a pin or paper piercer to keep my fingers out of the heat, but I'm usually not bright enough to think about that before I burn myself.

Anyway, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I think I've got several dies that would look great with some embossing, but I can't imagine anything other than the cuts and powder flying all over the room as soon as I turn the heat gun on.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
azemigh

Re: Puppy Love Cards

Post by azemigh »

jfugina wrote:OK, so here's a question that might clue you in to why I'm so impressed. How on earth did you heat emboss after it was cut, without the tree blowing all over the place? I remember that when I heat emboss (which I don't do often), I nearly burn my fingertips off trying to hold the paper in place so it doesn't blow away. Sometimes I'm clever enough to find a pin or paper piercer to keep my fingers out of the heat, but I'm usually not bright enough to think about that before I burn myself.

Anyway, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I think I've got several dies that would look great with some embossing, but I can't imagine anything other than the cuts and powder flying all over the room as soon as I turn the heat gun on.
First of all, I use an old box lid lined with foil as my embossing tray for heat embossing. I use spring loaded tweezers a lot of times to hold things if it looks like they're going to take off on me. A bamboo skewer works really well to hold things down too. The foil lining seems to help reflect the heat and make the powder melt quicker and the stray powder just melts into it as well. Just switch it out if it gets gunked up. On these intricate diecuts I always have to do 2-3 coats of powder as well, it's inevitable that some of the powder will fly off. I just let it cool in between and reapply the embossing ink and powder each time.

Hope these little tips help.