LO: UNsafety mat

jfugina

LO: UNsafety mat

Post by jfugina »

I recently started following a scrapbook generation group page on FB, and they post sketch challenges there with their free sketches. The latest free sketch spoke to me, and I decided to use it for this layout. I think it's a very versatile sketch, and I plan to make some empty layouts with it. It works well for using an obnoxious bold large pattern as the background, because you've still got a layer between that and the photos.

This was from 2016, when Jake had multiple injuries due to a run in with the safety mat that lives under the school's rock wall.
Attachments
IMG_1149.jpg
IMG_1149.jpg (127.89 KiB) Viewed 211 times
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Re: LO: UNsafety mat

Post by pamcook »

jfugina wrote:I recently started following a scrapbook generation group page on FB, and they post sketch challenges there with their free sketches. The latest free sketch spoke to me, and I decided to use it for this layout. I think it's a very versatile sketch, and I plan to make some empty layouts with it. It works well for using an obnoxious bold large pattern as the background, because you've still got a layer between that and the photos.

This was from 2016, when Jake had multiple injuries due to a run in with the safety mat that lives under the school's rock wall.
Cute layout but - dang Jake! I hope the mat got the worst of it!
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Oh my...Jake!

Great LO Julie. Something to look at in the years to come.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Poor Jake! Great layout.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

OMGosh Jake! I hope that place has dumped that dangerous mat. Yikes!

Very cute LO and I love the vertical strip with the faces. Very fun.
FARLEY in Sacramento
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

This looks like a very useful sketch, Julie. I like the row of rectangles with rounded corners that feature different prints.
Kathryn.
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

Ouch! I hope they replaced that mat. Great layout!
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

So no, the mat is still there. Here's what happened, in both cases - the mat is there for the rock wall. It makes sense. But the head injury was a case of the kids doing relay races where they would sprint across the gym, tag the rock wall and sprint back. In that case, they should really have had the mat covering the wall. Instead, Jake tripped on it, and face planted into the wall. The broken finger was him sliding (as if he were sliding into base), and he slid into the mat and jammed his finger. I'm not sure if the wall was in use at that time or not, but if it wasn't, then again, it probably should have been up covering the wall rather be a tripping hazard on a floor where kids are running.

Between the rock wall and the playground, Jake has become buddies with the urgent care doc. His recent broken arm and his broken teeth happened on the outdoor playground. I guess if you're going to play hard, you're occasionally going to get hurt.

Kathryn - I pulled two papers for that sketch, and the squares and the stripe came straight out of the scrap bin. It's definitely a keeper and I intend to use it again.
Julie Fugina
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Poor Jake
Hope he heals fast
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

jmp1022 wrote:Poor Jake
Hope he heals fast
Thanks Jill! He did heal fast. These photos were both from 2016, and not from the same incident. He's broken his arm and gone through another cast since this photo. :roll:
Julie Fugina
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Just be glad he didn't want to ride horses!

Some kids are an accident looking for a place to happen. :lol:

Poor Jake, but love the LO.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pbp908 wrote:Just be glad he didn't want to ride horses!

Some kids are an accident looking for a place to happen. :lol:
Isn't that the truth! For some reason, he's been through his entire life with little more than a guided pony ride (much to his disappointment). Nicole has been able to ride solo since she was 8. Probably never more than a trot, but she's never even come close to falling. I have no doubt Jake's luck would be different. Nicole seems exceptionally clumsy on the surface - the kid still hasn't come to terms with the length of her legs. LOL. But Jake - while he seems more graceful, he's the only one of the two who has broken bones or received stitches. So yes, he's definitely my accident looking for a place to happen.
Julie Fugina