Desert Finds LO

Keitha

Desert Finds LO

Post by Keitha »

I enjoyed spending time back in the Mojave Desert this past weekend while it was so cold outside. Another one for my Route 66 album; I find these linear Scrapbook Generation sketches lend themselves to a photo pocket layout with the photos sandwiched in between. I think it's because the photos on the layout extending all the way to the sides of the page balance the photo-heavy pocket page beside them.
The Bottle Tree Ranch was definitely one of my favourite stops on all of Route 66. Free to visit and open pretty much all the time, it's a whimsical, restful place to poke around for an hour or more, discovering all the treasures within and enjoying the unique sound the breeze makes in the bottles. Apparently the hummingbirds think so, too. Finding the Mojave Desert on this map paper from Pink Paislee's Outfitters line decided the paper choice for me, and I took some artistic license with the acrylic cactus as I know you don't find them in the desert here.
First photo is the layout, and the next two how it will look in my album; I really wanted to convey the feeling of all those bottle trees.
Attachments
DSCN4794_r.jpg
DSCN4794_r.jpg (224.37 KiB) Viewed 232 times
DSCN4798_r.jpg
DSCN4798_r.jpg (228.01 KiB) Viewed 232 times
DSCN4801_r.jpg
DSCN4801_r.jpg (233.85 KiB) Viewed 232 times
pamcook

Re: Desert Finds LO

Post by pamcook »

OOH! Excellent! I love exploring the desert and all the quirky finds you stumble on. You did a great job with this. It has a very retro vibe.
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Love seeing these warm weather layouts. I'm sure you had a great time. One place we've never been so it's on the bucket list.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I see only one problem with your awesome LOs. It’s giving me the travel bug! Your travel journals are so great and this Mojave one is no exception. I think I’ll be checking out Scrapbook Generation next as I cruise scrapping kits and styles.
FARLEY in Sacramento
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

What a fascinating place, love your eclectic quirkiness! The page pockets are a great way to show more photos.
Kathryn.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Wow, this is so great. I love the bottle tree pics. I really do need to get out and about some time soon... :lol:
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Wow, I think you got the point across that there were lots of bottle trees there. I would love to hear the sound of the wind in the bottles.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

mpizzazz wrote:Wow, I think you got the point across that there were lots of bottle trees there. I would love to hear the sound of the wind in the bottles.

I wish one of us had thought to get our phone out and take a video, just to capture the sound.
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

What an interesting place to visit. Your embellishments and choice of paper are perfect and the pocket pages are great.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Cool layout, and it definitely looks like a cool place to visit. I'm really liking your use of pocket pages in-between the double spread. I think that's a really great way to incorporate more photos without doing a whole separate layout. I've tried starting to pare down my layouts to only a small handful of good photos, but when there's so much to see, this is a great way to not leave any of those photos out. Love it!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

It reminds me of a quirky place we visited in New Mexico called Madrid. And the accent was definitely on"Mad"!
Kathryn.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

katymjo wrote:It reminds me of a quirky place we visited in New Mexico called Madrid. And the accent was definitely on"Mad"!
Kathryn.
Interesting you should say that today Kathryn; the layout I'm working on now is from Madrid. While technically not on Route 66 we did a couple of side trips along the way, including a drive up the Turquoise Trail as far as Madrid which Rebecca had not been to before. I first visited in 1984 when I was in NM for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, and again in 2004 where I met my first (and only) tarantula in the wild.