Olden days

pamcook

Olden days

Post by pamcook »

My graduation photo from 1976.
1976. I was 19 years old and pregnant with Cara (didn’t know it yet!).
9AE76B96-70E2-4A3C-857E-16BD925DD5CA.jpeg
9AE76B96-70E2-4A3C-857E-16BD925DD5CA.jpeg (145.12 KiB) Viewed 413 times
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Re: Olden days

Post by paddlegal »

Wow at 19 you were already a nurse! I love this of you and so glad you’ve scrapped this.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Paula

Post by Paula »

Great picture!!
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Lovely page. Did you tuck those comments you shared with us on the page somewhere - about being 19 years old and already pregnant? Geez, I sound like the journaling police...
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I haven't done any journaling on it yet. It was all I could do to scrapbook it last night. I'll eventually do it though.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Keitha wrote:Lovely page. Did you tuck those comments you shared with us on the page somewhere - about being 19 years old and already pregnant? Geez, I sound like the journaling police...
Pam this is a great layout, and I agree with the journaling police here. LOL. You'll always look at that photo and know how old you were and that you were about to get some surprise news, but that photo represents a truly life-altering time. I often have a hard time getting the journaling in, but I also know if I don't do it right away, I may never come back to it. Sometimes if I think the journaling will take away from the look of the page, I'll just write it on the back, and write down on the bottom corner "more to see on the back" in small print. I've also done this with stories that weren't meant to be read by anyone flipping through looking at photos, but for my kids in 20-30 years, when they're really absorbing the story of us, they might like to know what was on my mind at the time. I've also written a lot of negative emotions down on the back of layouts. Scrapbooking really is better than therapy. 8-)
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

jfugina wrote:
Keitha wrote:Lovely page. Did you tuck those comments you shared with us on the page somewhere - about being 19 years old and already pregnant? Geez, I sound like the journaling police...
Pam this is a great layout, and I agree with the journaling police here. LOL. You'll always look at that photo and know how old you were and that you were about to get some surprise news, but that photo represents a truly life-altering time. I often have a hard time getting the journaling in, but I also know if I don't do it right away, I may never come back to it. Sometimes if I think the journaling will take away from the look of the page, I'll just write it on the back, and write down on the bottom corner "more to see on the back" in small print. I've also done this with stories that weren't meant to be read by anyone flipping through looking at photos, but for my kids in 20-30 years, when they're really absorbing the story of us, they might like to know what was on my mind at the time. I've also written a lot of negative emotions down on the back of layouts. Scrapbooking really is better than therapy. 8-)
Way better than therapy!
Pam Cook #48
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Aww...how lovely. What a great memory.

19 years old, a nurse and pregnant...that gives one pause. Way to burst onto the adult scene as a force to be reckoned with! You did okay Pam! :clap:
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

What a beautiful photo Pam. You certainly captured some poignant memories with your delightful layout.
Kathryn.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pat-czap wrote:Aww...how lovely. What a great memory.

19 years old, a nurse and pregnant...that gives one pause. Way to burst onto the adult scene as a force to be reckoned with! You did okay Pam! :clap:

Well said Pat!
FARLEY in Sacramento
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

paddlegal wrote:
pat-czap wrote:Aww...how lovely. What a great memory.

Well said Pat!
You don't want to know what I was doing at 19 years old...not much to further myself. I was without direction, and just stayed home or went to work at McDonald's where I had worked for a few years by then. I did go to Beauty School about this time and got my license, then I went to college for a degree in medical records. I was a late bloomer.
Not having the push from home to go to college was a temporary blip on my path, but That's another story. :?

THAT is why I am impressed by Pam's journey, and those people who just knew what they wanted from life.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Great picture. I'm glad you saved it. I don't have many pictures of me when I was young. I do have my wedding album. Married at 17.

Laurie
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I love seeing these old photos being scrapped. And, yes, get that journaling somewhere on there or on the back with a note as Julie suggests. Otherwise, it's "just" a photo. Tell your story, too!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

Great layout. I agree with the journaling. You know you were 19 and pregnant, but in 40 years when your great-grandchildren are looking at that picture they won't know that.

I am a huge journaler. If you look at my paper pages, you will sometimes notice a tab sticking out of the top of a picture - that's where I hide my monologue. I found that was a great way to tell the complete story of the pictures and still leave the pictures as front and center.

My digi pages sometimes have a blocked area for journaling (the beauty of digi is, it doesn't have to be large). If not that, then the title says something and I always include dates.

I kind of think of scrapbooking as therapy for me and history for my family.

And one other thing - do include your own handwriting sometimes. My grandmother (and mother) both had the most beautiful handwriting. I cherish the few things I have that were handwritten by them.