Save some $ Find out what works
pamcook

Who has ordered it?

Post by pamcook »

Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Re: Who has ordered it?

Post by paddlegal »

I think I want one. I’ve watched my favorite card maker Vicki use a similar one in her videos and it’s so handy for mixing water color paints and the fact that you can heat emboss directly on it is a big plus. I wonder how much the shippping will be on this?
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

It's pretty amazing. I would hope for a great deal on the price to offset shipping or free shipping.

Well, the price is much lower than I would have guessed.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

So I had to investigate further. Here’s a link to Tim’s Tonic sneak peek video. At about 15 minutes he reveals the glass mat. Yeah, I think I need this. Haven’t watched the full presentation because it is so long. But will watch more this afternoon. Other new products too.

https://www.tonic-studios.com/pages/tim-holtz-media-mat

Thanks Pam or I might have missed this.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I've had a 13"x13" glass mat for years; it's made by EK Success and I got it to use with my dinner-plate sized circle cutters. Lately it's been on my table full time; you want a glass surface with the Fuse tool, too. I'd been contemplating the big Tonic mat ever since I first saw Vicky P. use it, but that now seems to be out of stock. Perhaps they're only making Tim's now?
Shipping to me from any online store is prohibitive so I'll likely order it through my LSS - she'll probably bring them in anyway.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Keitha wrote:I've had a 13"x13" glass mat for years; it's made by EK Success and I got it to use with my dinner-plate sized circle cutters. Lately it's been on my table full time; you want a glass surface with the Fuse tool, too. I'd been contemplating the big Tonic mat ever since I first saw Vicky P. use it, but that now seems to be out of stock. Perhaps they're only making Tim's now?
Shipping to me from any online store is prohibitive so I'll likely order it through my LSS - she'll probably bring them in anyway.

You're so lucky to have an LSS. I miss mine terribly! When Lisa and I got together this weekend, we were reminiscing about the store.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

I have the 13x13 EK Success glass mat myself, along with the smaller version they made for cardmakers that was slightly larger than an 8.5x11 piece of paper. Much as I like the look of Tim's new toy, mine will work just fine, although I may order that craft sheet to go on top. If you don't already own a glass mat thought, I highly recommend them!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I've got a glass mat from my little diecutter. Maybe I need to use it for inking, etc.
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

OMG. Want! My work space has a 14x22 cutting mat, and it's great, but I can't heat emboss on it (I mean, I can, and I have, but it's a bit warped as a result). I don't do nearly as much with mixed media, but when I do, I dig out that brown mat that we all got all of those years ago. It's great, but it doesn't stay in place and I usually wind up with ink or paint somewhere I didn't intend because the mat shifted around.

I may need to give this some serious consideration. I'm not opposed to the price, but glass is heavy and shipping costs could be a major downer.

Also - did y'all watch that whole video? I had never thought to use hand sanitizer as a solvent ink cleaner. :shock: I'll be taking some down to the craft room tonight.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

After watching the whole video yesterday I bought 2 of the sanitizers. I’m going to ask my LSS today if she can order it. I noticed there’s a $40-$50 surcharge for out of USA orders on SSS!!! Shipping will be a killer. But if you order other stuff with it maybe it won’t hurt as much. :lol:

I bet though, unlike Tim, I will still lose space on it with my clutter. Still, I particularly like being able to heat emboss on it. That’s a big deal to me. I might actually emboss more with that feature.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

paddlegal wrote:I bet though, unlike Tim, I will still lose space on it with my clutter. Still, I particularly like being able to heat emboss on it. That’s a big deal to me. I might actually emboss more with that feature.
I'm kind of thinking the same thing about embossing more. It requires less re-arranging and prep work to get an embossing space ready.

As far as the clutter, I my existing 14x22 mat is magnetic and slightly raised, and it does help define the space and keep it clear. I suspect if I got one of these glass boards, it will simply sit on top of the magnet board, and elevate it further, helping keep clutter off even better.

The other thing I like are the center out measurements. I have that small clear Club Scrap ruler with the center line measurements, and it's one of the things I panic over when it goes missing (i.e., gets buried too deep).
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

I bought that large Tonic glass mat from CS years ago...and it sits unused. I'll have to watch the video.

Okay, I watched the video. Thank you for fast forwarding as Tim does like to go on and on... ;)

I just may pull my glass mat out of the closet now.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

If you use the link that Pam posted, there's a video there that's strictly the mat, so no fast forwarding through everything else. ;)

I can't justify it right now, and embossing has never been an issue. I just hold it in my hands and heat both sides.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I was at my LSS with my crafting group yesterday and ordered the mat from Beverly, the owner. I might be paying a bit more but I like supporting her whenever possible and in my mind I won’t be paying shipping. Probably won’t see it until late February but “maybe” I’ll have my desk and room actually ready for it by then. The gut job has stalled, LOL.

Julie I love my Zero rulers from CS and have all 3 sizes plus one extra little one that I keep in my ToGo cart. They have all been well used tools.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I got an email from my LSS saying she'd ordered a couple dozen of these and was taking pre-orders. So I'm on the list; price up here will be $55 CDN (about $44 US) and I won't have to pay shipping. I'm fine with whenever it comes, as I'm not desperate for another glass mat. There is one downside that I've discovered though - my paper trimmer slides around on top of it which it doesn't do on a self-healing mat. It won't be easy to just move it out of the way; I might have to beef up the rubber feet on my trimmer. Perhaps that's why most folks we see using them in videos are doing mixed media work and not scrapbooking.