Layering dies two ways

Save some $ Find out what works
Keitha

Layering dies two ways

Post by Keitha »

I want to get better at utilizing my tools and products to their fullest potential, so used these layering dies a couple different ways. The Christmas card idea I saw done online; this felt more like piecing together a puzzle than making art with figuring out which bits to cut in which colours; there are two shades of both red and green cardstock used. While it looks simple enough it was quite fiddly; as I said to Marianne the doing is what gives you an appreciation for what someone put into something you've seen done. I stamped my sentiments on acetate and adhered them on top.

The birthday card is my favourite, made by using the 2 dies to create masks, and then inking and shading with distress inks. It doesn't show up in this photo, but with the outline mask in place I spritzed the whole thing with Biscotti Perfect Pearl mist which gives a subtle sheen to all the coloured areas. More Perfect Pearls! The tag was collateral damage if you will, made from the mask for the card.

I've never considered myself a cardmaker as I prefer to spend my time making layouts or art journals, etc. That was obvious when it came time to put a sentiment on the birthday card; I have exactly two stamps that are at all suitable for birthday cards - as you can see this one really isn't big enough. No dies with appropriate words, either. So now to decide if I should invest in some birthday sentiment stamps, if I think I might actually use them.
Attachments
DSCN4775_r.jpg
DSCN4775_r.jpg (245.89 KiB) Viewed 245 times
mpizzazz

Re: Layering dies two ways

Post by mpizzazz »

I like them both! Did you put the red cardstock bits back inside the flowers or is that the red background showing through? I've never tried that. I can see what you mean about how fiddly they were.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

mpizzazz wrote:I like them both! Did you put the red cardstock bits back inside the flowers or is that the red background showing through? I've never tried that. I can see what you mean about how fiddly they were.
The background piece is the lighter red colour, and then the darker red is a layer and the white outlines a layer. I cut corresponding green bits to layer under the leaves.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

They’re beautiful!

I have a old Heidi Swapp happy birthday stamp and that’s about the only one I use. I’d say go ahead and invest in a sentiment stamp.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha you really should divide your precious free crafting time to be making cards also. These are fabulous and I can see how fiddily they were to make...but well worth it. I’ve watched this type of technique and have wanted to try it. You really had the right kind of dies for this.
FARLEY in Sacramento
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

Great cards and I love the tag - "waste not, want not". I try to use up every little piece of what I make too. And yes, I agree, invest in a couple more greeting stamps. I started out scrapbooking (and I still do) but I love making cards. I make them for everyone. I even made a card for the refuse collectors who pick up our trash every week. They might not appreciate it as much as some, but hey, they haul away enough of my tiny scraps every week to gain something from it.
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

Great cards
Maybe print it on the computer larger the cut it out
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

What a great job on those. After my craft area gets cleaned out from Christmas I plan on trying some new techniques.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO