Homemade enamel dots with Nuvo

Save some $ Find out what works
paddlegal

Homemade enamel dots with Nuvo

Post by paddlegal »

A little trick I learned at Paper Garden Friday (not new I know, but...) using the Nuvo Crystal Drops is to make your own enamel dot embellishments. The trick is to do it on one of those clear card envelopes. Dot the drops on and forget about them until the next day. Then the flexible envelope will let you easily peel them off.

Keitha your SS gift of those drops has started a new addiction. :lol: I've added 4 colors to the collection. Looking at them I see I need to get a bit more colorful.
Attachments
IMG_1878.JPG
IMG_1878.JPG (109.67 KiB) Viewed 479 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Re: Homemade enamel dots with Nuvo

Post by Keitha »

Your enamel drops look great. And I'd say those neutral colours are probably most versatile; I suspect a bottle goes a long way.
I have quite a stash of enamel dots to use up before I start investing in the drops, but I've been tempted by the Nuvo Embellishment mousse. Have you tried that yet?
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote:Your enamel drops look great. And I'd say those neutral colours are probably most versatile; I suspect a bottle goes a long way.
I have quite a stash of enamel dots to use up before I start investing in the drops, but I've been tempted by the Nuvo Embellishment mousse. Have you tried that yet?

Haven't tried the mousse but someone else here did. Just can't recall who. PG had a lot of Nuvo products I'm curious to try. May have to slip by sometime in the near future.
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Speaking of needing more colorful ones...I just realized that I can color the white Crystal Drops with Copics, Sharpies, AI, etc.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

We used the mousse on our astronaut card, lightly brushed it on the background stamp and stamped away. It's kind of cool!

I've been making dots on wax paper, which is always a staple in the craft room as well as the kitchen!
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I've been very brave and placing my dots right onto my project. When I first bought the bottles, I tried making a supply but it was just too fussy for me. So I just place them as I need them. I don't need another tiny thing to store.
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

you could even make eyes with the white and then
a tiny drop of the black for the pupil or any of the other
colors
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

ScrappinJen wrote:I've been very brave and placing my dots right onto my project. When I first bought the bottles, I tried making a supply but it was just too fussy for me. So I just place them as I need them. I don't need another tiny thing to store.
This is what I was wondering when I first read this. I was wondering if dropping them directly on paper makes them soak in to the paper and not look as spherical. It looks like a cool trick either way! I also read something when I was looking for DIY embellishments that some folks were using nail polish to make enamel dots. I wonder if that works as well as this product? I'd bet that the nail enamel is pretty thick though, and would be hard to get into a good sphere.

I already have quite a few unused dots in my stash, but I suspect if I started to use them heavily, this would be an economical way to get a lot of them.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I thought that, too, Julie. But no. They make a perfectly shaped dome and I love them. The trick is to put them somewhere safe til they harden. Always the last thing on the page.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

That drying thing is indeed a problem and that is why I like either the ready made enamel dots...bought or homemade. I have placed the Nuvo directly on cards but then the drying time has to be considered and a safe place for them to set up.
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

How are you storing them?
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

ScrappinJen wrote:How are you storing them?

After I pop them off the plastic-ish envelope I just store them loose in a small zip lock baggie. We'll see if that works or they end up stuck together.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

I bought 3 more colors of Nuvo drops today at Renegades :lol: Fun spring colors, the gal ringing me up said "oh these are great colors you pick d out!".
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

nancine wrote:I bought 3 more colors of Nuvo drops today at Renegades :lol: Fun spring colors, the gal ringing me up said "oh these are great colors you pick d out!".

Ooh nice Nancy. I definitely need some spring colors. I love what I have so far but they are my typical 50 shades of mud. :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

those look cool but letting them dry would be a problem for me too
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois