white embossing powder?

Save some $ Find out what works
Keitha

white embossing powder?

Post by Keitha »

I'm looking for a recommendation for a nice, bright, snow white embossing powder. It seems all mine are 'specialty' whites. What do you like, that's readily available to order online?
paddlegal

Re: white embossing powder?

Post by paddlegal »

Shoot I wish I had checked on Friday in Julie's class what we used. It had a very nice white glossy finish. I noticed that most of the bottles of powder were unmarked. I'll check with Paper Garden. Julie is still there today so hopefully I can find out.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

That'd be great, thanks.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Don't order the opaque white from Stampendous. It has a slight ivory cast. Everything else I have is a speciality, like Pearl.

I'll be interested to know what was used in the class, also.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Just called PG and found out that the white embossing powder we used Friday is exactly what I've been using for several years since I took a JudiKins class that Judi Watanabe taught at PG....JudiKins Opaque White. It's really a nice glossy solid white.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Good to know, thanks!
djenns

Post by djenns »

I actually found some Recollection brand at Michael's - labeled "snow" that I like and another on I've had for a long time is "Zing" by American Crafts.
nancine

Post by nancine »

I usually try and buy ones that are labeled "detail" and I think my last brand might have been Ranger. People also seem to like WOW embossing powders. JudiKins is an excellent brand, but not something you'll likely find at Michaels.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Based on recommendations here I ordered the Judikins white embossing powder and am very happy with it. Here I've embossed on watercolour paper as a resist and then coloured with Distress Oxide inks. I didn't have embossing ink in my hotel room so used light colours of regular distress ink which you can emboss with, which didn't affect the whiteness of the powder at all. The oxide colour combination on the left is my favourite so far: broken china, cracked pistachio and iced spruce. On the right I added some vintage photo to my spiced marmalade/worn lipstick/fossilized amber combination which oxidized into a slightly mauve colour, very nice IRL. Some day these might become cards, LOL.
Attachments
DSCN3315_r.jpg
DSCN3315_r.jpg (178.72 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Looks very nice Keitha!!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Gorgeous color combinations! They'll make very nice cards.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Oooh Keitha, these are both terrific! Your coloring blending is awesome and they will make great cards for sure. Glad you had some down time to play. How did you apply the inks? Sponge applicators?

I just posted a similar idea with stamping and embossing with white powder, then watercoloring the ink on with a water brush. So much fun!
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

paddlegal wrote:Oooh Keitha, these are both terrific! Your coloring blending is awesome and they will make great cards for sure. Glad you had some down time to play. How did you apply the inks? Sponge applicators?

I just posted a similar idea with stamping and embossing with white powder, then watercoloring the ink on with a water brush. So much fun!
I love the results from putting ink on the craft sheet and spritzing it with water, then dragging the paper through it. For the blue/green card I stopped after one good drag and then once more to pick up a bit more colour where there wasn't any. I think you get a more translucent look with more defined edges to the colours that way. For the one on the right I dragged the paper through the ink several times, probably adding more water after a couple of drags; that tends to give a more opaque, blended colour application which is softer looking. Then I flicked some water drops on top.