Happy Discovery

Save some $ Find out what works
pbp908

Happy Discovery

Post by pbp908 »

This may be something that everyone already knew except me, which often happens. :lol:

I ran out of chipboard hearts. :-o I didn't run out of chipboard. ;) I still have a good stash in my photo mounting supplies but wasn't looking forward to wielding the X-Acto to cut it with my aching joints. Enter the trusty KAI scissors that I purchased specifically to cut rubber stamp sheets. They cut the chipboard like buttah, baybe! It was no harder to cut the chipboard than it is to cut paper stock.

Any other tool tips that I don't know about???
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Re: Happy Discovery

Post by pamcook »

Good to know! I own x-acto knives but I don't let myself use them.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I'm not so sure that I'll be using them anymore. I've always had a love/hate relationship with the darned things.
Pam P.

nchoney

Post by nchoney »

My brain went to die-cutting the chipboard, but I don't think I have heart dies other than one little embosslit... good reminder though... need to work on Valentine's Day cards this weekend!! :-)

Yay.... it'll take me out of Christmas and Baby Shower mode... LOL
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

This topic brings up a question that has been on my mind. I literally have pounds of raw chipboard, in shapes, and alphabets, etc. I really want to use it and I'm not quite sure how I should go about it to make it something other than raw chipboard. Do I apply a coat of gesso and then color it with inks or paints? What do you gals do? Or just use it raw?
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Jenn, I usually paint it to match whatever LO/card I am working with at the time. I'm like you as I have a ton of it and grungeboard! What was I thinking??????????
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Debbie J wrote:Jenn, I usually paint it to match whatever LO/card I am working with at the time. I'm like you as I have a ton of it and grungeboard! What was I thinking??????????

I have GOBBS of grunge board! And chipboard shapes too but fortunately they are not raw. They are either white already (CTMH) or have something useless printed on them. Guess I could gesso those if I can't use them as is.

During our conversation about good videos to watch there was a mention of one showing how to use up chipboard. Does anyone know of that one or has it not been premiered yet? I'm going to YouTube and Pinterest and see what I come up with regarding the chipboard. Then maybe this might be my next card challenge. :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Paint it, stamp it, cover it with patterned paper, collage it, cover it in embossing powder, cover it with UTEE and then stamp in it before it dries...
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Farley - The videos are up for the chipboard. The one I liked the most was using the "frames" to make shaker boxes.

You can cover them with Stickles, cover them with glue and add glitter, paint them, ink them, stamp on them - alter them however you want. They really are versatile and I don't know why I don't use them more. Maybe now that I know I can cut the darned stuff I will.
Pam P.

jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I have those scissors too but I still find them hard to cut with
so I found some that have a spring in them and they pop back open
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Monica

Post by Monica »

You all inspired another addition to the cyber crop challenges, so get to work! :lol:
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Cover them with washi tape!
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Thanks for the ideas. I'll get busy. What video are y'all talking about?

I guess my main question is, does it have to be primed/gesso'd first before doing these techniques?
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

If you paint them, use a heavy bodied paint or gesso first. You can ink them but the ink may be too transparent to give you the effect you want. Generally if I'm covering chipboard with paper, glitter or Stickles, I don't do anything else to it. It just depends on the look you want. If you decide to cover them with paper, book binders glue seems to work best. Unfortunately, trimming the excess paper is where I have to pull out that dreaded X-Acto blade. :lol:
Pam P.

Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I'll add that translucent inks on raw chipboard will sink in, often giving a suede-like look to it that can be cool. If I'm covering with paper I use glue stick, which I find easier than a wet glue. And for trimming around shaped pieces I do use my x-acto although scissors will work; if you want a smoother edge run around it with a sanding block or fine sandpaper - you can also use this to give you a bit of a distressed edge.

Pam P - is the video part of that use your stash series?