Storing Inkpads

Save some $ Find out what works
mpizzazz

Storing Inkpads

Post by mpizzazz »

Let's talk about storing inkpads.
I grabbed a few old blue inkpads to see if they were worth throwing away this morning. I seldom use blue ink. One thing led to another and I got out all the blue pads. Don't laugh, I only have seven of them, to test the colors for duplicates. So, I'm wondering does anyone store their inkpads by color or is it always by manufacturer?

I also seldom stamp in green. Maybe those inkpads should go further away and I should keep the warm and neutral colors in the more convenient place.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pamcook

Re: Storing Inkpads

Post by pamcook »

Mine are all in one drawer (top drawer of my Alex) and are sorted my manufacturer only because the shape of the container makes stacking them easier. I have too many Distress Inks and only a few from other companies. Altenew inks are calling my name but so is a home update project. Right now my home update project has a louder voice.
I do keep my walnut stain & black soot pads on my desk - I use them almost every day. Oh - and black Archival ink and grey StazOn (although I use them infrequently). They're on the little shelf but the Distress pads I mentioned are right there next to my ATG gun.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

My pigment inks are up in a rack on the wall.... an old cassette tape rack and they're mostly ColorBox inks so they fit nicely.

My Stampin' Up inkpads are in one of their swivel racks... I bought a bunch on eBay and that rack keeps them handy

The distress inks are also up in the cassette rack unless I have them in a little tote for using on a project

All the other dye inks are in various plastic totes or drawers.... they may all be together in a general color grouping because of whatever I'm working on at the time, but they're usually stacked by manufacturer because, like Pam said, they stack nicely that way
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Marianne for someone who rarely uses blue, you have a lot of blue ink pads! :lol:

I keep all my favorite inks, by mfr, out on my desk available to use any time. I have an acrylic shelving system that holds any size pad, pushed up at the back of my desk so it takes up very little work space. Never saw this shelving again after I bought two of them.
FARLEY in Sacramento
nancine

Post by nancine »

I basically store by color... Right on my counter where I work I have a couple of those cassette type storage deals and each "row" is a color family. These are my dye inks - all manufacturers. Distress inks are in a drawer right under where I stamp. In that drawer tower I also have a drawer for pigment inks (few of those in colors, mostly metallic), Kaliedecolor pads, Chalk Ink pads.

I keep a black and a Vintage Photo distress ink in my travel tote so I never have to remember to pack them.

Ask Jennifer... She's seen it in person. She also covets my very, very old Huckleberry ink pad that's from the Long gone LSS here in town so I'll never find a replacement or re-inker. I think I'm supposed to leave it to her in my will... :lol:

You could say I love ink - but I am first and foremost a stamper!
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I came late to stamping, so I don't have much of a storage system. Distress pads (which are the bulk of my pads) are all kept together in a small decorative suitcase, except for the colors I use to ink edges. I have a wire tray that holds the cat's eyes and small pads. Then the larger "other" pads (Staz On, embossing, the Perfect Pearls pad that I can't remember the name of, etc.) are in the rack on the door. Wish I could find more of them because they're perfect for my purposes. I saw a great Distress pad spinner storage that would hold the pads, reinkers, etc. but it was handmade and cost prohibitive. ;)
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

My inks are all out in the open, around my desk area. Distress products of all types on a little cabinet. Other ink pads are stored in 2 Club Scrap ink pad holders that were a retreat project a few years ago. I do have an Iris container that holds those cat's eye and small cube pads, that rarely see the light of day, and are stored in a closet.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Those of you who use cassette tape storage racks for your ink pads - I've seen people use them to store washi tape rolls. Just in case you have empty slots and need a place to store your washi tape rolls.
Pam Cook #48
nancine

Post by nancine »

pamcook wrote:Those of you who use cassette tape storage racks for your ink pads - I've seen people use them to store washi tape rolls. Just in case you have empty slots and need a place to store your washi tape rolls.
That's a great idea - mine are all dumped in a "bucket" that I have to dig through.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Since my desk rarely looks this clear (didn't during your visit, did it Marianne:) I took a photo of my commonly used ink pads. If it isn't right in front of me I'm not going to use it. They are stored by manufacturer or type of ink. Large Distress pads, pigment inks and assorted dye inks. Plus a bunch of different black ink pads. But the silly thing is I have a collection of mini Distress pads for my weekly craft group stored in my travel cart. Guess which pads I go to first? I recently changed how I store them and I'm very happy with using these photo storage cases for travel or for home use. I can't take credit for this. I saw this on a blog.
Attachments
20160721_100902-640x640.jpg
20160721_100902-640x640.jpg (152.46 KiB) Viewed 585 times
20160721_101507-480x592.jpg
20160721_101507-480x592.jpg (104.3 KiB) Viewed 585 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Ok, so I guess the answer to my question is, you mostly all store your inkpads by manufacturer. I get that it is convenient because they are each different shapes and storage is easier if all the same shape pads are together and all the same ink formulas.

I was just curious if anyone stored them by color. I think I'm going to try it. They can't be used any less than they are now so maybe this will stir them up a bit. :lol:

Thanks
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I have the great new ink pad holder that hubby made - it is mainly for my Stampin' Up! pads but I do have a few others in there. Club Scrap inks are in a drawer and I have several other places holding my inks. I use Blue & Green a lot.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

A while ago I thought about storing my inks by colour but I was going to take it further, grouping all inks, paints, sprays, markers, powders, etc. together in colour families. As for ink pads, I've realized I use my inks more for techniques than for just stamping images, and I usually want several colours of the same type of ink to work with. So for me grouping them by type is most efficient; all Distress inks are together when I go to pull a few out, etc. Occasionally I do pull out all my blue pads to find the 'right' colour, but that happens way less frequently.

I don't think I stamp in blue a lot either, but I do love a dark green instead of brown, especially if whatever I'm putting it on is at all nature-related. And for inking edges I typically use a coordinating Distress ink in what I'd call a shadow-y shade, i.e. pumice stone, antique linen, bundled sage, etc. rather than a shade of brown. Rarely do I ink edges in black.