Any advice is appreciated

Trixie

Any advice is appreciated

Post by Trixie »

Well, I am retired. As of midnight tonight. I am practicing my deep breathing.

Long story short, I worked almost 42 years at the library and was the Director for the last 25. I loved my job, but every job has issues. People told me I would know when it was time and about 3 years ago I started to seriously consider it. Talking to some of you at our Recreates played a big part. In Sept 2016 I gave the board 14 months notice and told them I was retiring 10/31/17. I drug/pushed them through the process of finding a new director. They have to hire the director. I legally cannot do it. By the middle of October they still didn't have one and asked me to stay on. I told them I would stay 2 more months, but that was it. They had a meeting on 11/8 and after that I didn't hear from them until one texted me last Wednesday asking if Friday was my last day. They called an emergency board meeting for Friday morning. The board president was livid. He told me that he had no idea I was leaving and that he couldn't believe I would leave them in such a horrible position. The other members said they did know I was leaving, wished me luck, and one said, "I wish we could have gotten you flowers."

So, that is it. My career ends without a so much as a card. I am beyond hurt. It just would have been nice to know they appreciated what I did. So, what do i do? I stayed late on Friday and then went in both Saturday and Sunday to try to tie up lose ends, help make things go smoothly, etc. As of midnight I am done. I legally cannot do anything else. On one hand I am happy. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. The library, it's funding, the staff, etc were a huge responsibility. On the other hand people keep telling me how hard retirement is. They talk about depression, illness, death... I have a long list of things I want to do around the house, craftwise, exercise, projects with friends... If any of you have an tips or advice please let me know.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pat-czap

Re: Any advice is appreciated

Post by pat-czap »

OH MY GOODNESS. Well Judy, you can't fix their major goof up. I wish they had a brain between them...geez.
I wish you a happy retirement. Thank you for your many years of dedication. I hope you fill your days with joy!
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

OMG
You deserved a huge party at the very least.
I’m one who believes retirement is what you make it. You are an active, creative, brilliant woman and you just need to explore what will make you happy. There are always people ready and willing to drag you down. Tell them what body part they can kiss and move on. Travel (if you want). Volunteer (if you want). Take classes (if you want). Start another career (if you want). Enjoy every well-deserved second!
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

I am heartsick that your years of dedication were ignored. It really sounds to me that you are so better off to be out of there. Not unlike a bad marriage. When it’s over, cut the ties and start enjoying your freedom. Don’t let selfish, mean and inconiderate co-workers/employers have any power over your happiness. And if anyone from there calls for some help...you’re not available. Don’t let anyone from there use you anymore.

Having a wonderful retirement is the best revenge. Think about the things you enjoy, crafting, traveling whatever grabs your attention and makes you happy. Take care of your physical and emotional health and the rest of fun times will follow. Join a fitness club to workout a few times a week. It’s a great way to meet other health-minded people, many of them retired. Make a list of things you’ve been wanting to do and start checking them off. And most of all, hang out here with us.

:happy94:
FARLEY in Sacramento
Trixie

Post by Trixie »

Thank you all. I do have lots of ideas. I am thinking excited. 2018 really is going to be full of new experiences. I am anxious to get back to scrapbooking and taking part in some of your swaps, etc. Thank you for the encouragement and kind words.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

Create, workout, make pretty things and kick some butt.

What you do know is what YOU decide to do. So go have fun.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I am so happy and excited for you. Retirement is what you make it. Enjoy it. Explore it. Embrace it. It’s a new year :happywave: :happywave:
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Oh Judy, it makes me sick how they treated you, you did everything you could in a professional manner to help them hire a new director. Their ignorance is their problem.

I can only agree with all the good advice that everyone has already posted.
And I hope you will now have time to visit us when you get up this way to visit your brother. :happy94:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

And, typical of Ray, his advice is take an exciting trip somewhere and send the board a postcard of you riding a camel in the desert with the pyramids in the background (he's got Egypt on the brain) or enjoying yourself anywhere in the world...
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

mpizzazz wrote:And, typical of Ray, his advice is take an exciting trip somewhere and send the board a postcard of you riding a camel in the desert with the pyramids in the background (he's got Egypt on the brain) or enjoying yourself anywhere in the world...
Ray's advice is the best yet!
July, congratulations on your retirement! Given the way they treated you they don't deserve another minute of your concern; sounds like they didn't deserve the last two months you gave them, either. Here's to the start of the best years of your life!
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote:
mpizzazz wrote:And, typical of Ray, his advice is take an exciting trip somewhere and send the board a postcard of you riding a camel in the desert with the pyramids in the background (he's got Egypt on the brain) or enjoying yourself anywhere in the world...
Ray's advice is the best yet!
July, congratulations on your retirement! Given the way they treated you they don't deserve another minute of your concern; sounds like they didn't deserve the last two months you gave them, either. Here's to the start of the best years of your life!

Right on, Ray!

Judy this is exactly what I meant when I said having a great retirement is the best revenge.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Congrats Judy on your well deserved retirement, so sorry your years of dedication and service was not recognized. Sever the cord. This is going to be the time of your life. Fill your days with things you love to do. I don’t know how I had time to work,
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Having just gone through it, I sort of know what you're saying. I asked them to NOT give me a party, so they did anyway. :lol: I have a Coach purse and a plaque to show for it - none of which really means anything to me. I'm trying very hard to not throw the plaque in the garbage, so I'll probably have someone pry the engraved part off and use the wood for an altered piece. :twisted:

I replaced most of the flooring in the house and two of the exterior doors. Now I have painting and more cleaning on my feeble mind. ;) Along with pulling out paints and canvases, relearning how to cook, gardening, and a plethora of other projects. Throw in being more active and loosing 80 pounds of desk weight, and that'll be my revenge. That and telling them what my fee is IF they call me to do any projects for them. :twisted:

I love Ray's idea and all of the other advice everyone has given you. Do what makes you happy and take Elsa's advice - Let It Go!

And welcome to the wonderful world of not having to drive to work in the snow, ice, and rain! About darned time!!!!
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

I am sad that they didn’t recognize your devoted years of service. That’s just not right. Walk away from them and begin to enjoy a new chapter in your journey. I agree with the great advice everyone has given. I retired seven years ago and have never regretted it for a minute. I have throughly enjoyed retirement. I often wonder how I had time to work. You’ll find plenty of things to occupy your time. I agree with the others when said retirement is what you make it. Congratulations on beginning your new journey!
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

I am totally with Pam on this! Congratulations on being retired. So sorry they did not do better for you. You will have some adjusting but let me tell you soon you will wonder how you had time to work.

So looking forward to ReCreate and knowing that you will enjoy being there along with all of us who will be able to make it.
pamcook wrote:OMG
You deserved a huge party at the very least.
I’m one who believes retirement is what you make it. You are an active, creative, brilliant woman and you just need to explore what will make you happy. There are always people ready and willing to drag you down. Tell them what body part they can kiss and move on. Travel (if you want). Volunteer (if you want). Take classes (if you want). Start another career (if you want). Enjoy every well-deserved second!
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO