Opinions?

pamcook

Opinions?

Post by pamcook »

Thank goodness it's rarely an issue any more but I'd like to know what you all think (I know what I think! :lol: )

At what point do we (kindly) say, "I'm sorry but we can't allow you to sign up for swaps"? EVERYONE has or will have circumstances that cause them to back out after signing up. I'm talking about those who sign up and then don't follow through with no communication. When it happens, it inconveniences the host and leaves the next host not knowing what to do or what to expect.
Pam Cook #48
pbp908

Re: Opinions?

Post by pbp908 »

From the swap guidelines (which I just "bumped up" on the list):
6. If you are late once, you are placed on a slow list and a hostess may ask the list moderator for this information. If you have been late twice or otherwise not fulfilled swap participation (determined by the hostess), then you will placed on a probationary period from swapping on the list.

Unfortunately, not every hostess knows if someone has flaked on a swap, so what do we do then? PM the current host and let them know? This is a situation we never considered when we all discussed and established the guidelines. If you find that someone is a "serial flaker," who lets them know that they can't participate? Should it be up to the swap host or a mod? I don't like being the bad guy - that's Tawanda's job - but I can if I have to do so. Maybe we need to have some more discussion about this and hammer out how we should handle it.

For those of you who were absent when we set the guidelines, please read the thread on this. It's also a global announcement and shows up at the top of every topic list on the index.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Excellent points Pam.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

So immediately in my paranoia I'm thinking "is she talking about me?"...I hope I didn't forget a swap. :lol:

When I was active on CS I participated in nearly every swap that came up. There was one habitual slacker and when I hosted a swap I made it clear to that person that she had to follow through. It did no good. Eventually she stopped participating when her items came late and I would just return them to her explaining she missed the deadline. The worst offense was a round robin. I was not the hostess. She totally dropped the ball and the rest of us never got our items back. I asked her to just send them all to me without her addition and I would take care of it. Never heard from her. Others let her play but she continued to miss deadlines. It was very frustrating. I couldn't help but wonder if she had a mental issue that prevented her from following through and did my best not to be hard on her. Some swaps don't necessarily rely on everyone's participation but many do. It can be a tough call.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Too bad we even have to have rules like this, but someone ruins it by not following through with their commitment. We have so little participation on this board I can't imagine it being a habitual problem.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Farley! :lol:

We've had our share over the years.

Maybe we deal with it as it happens? I don't think any of us are into public flogging - or public humiliation. Like Debbie said, participation is pretty low... . Hostesses can relay concerns via PM? Hostesses can make it clear in their guidelines whether they will allow late submissions or any other restrictions?
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pamcook wrote:Farley! :lol:

Maybe we deal with it as it happens? I don't think any of us are into public flogging - or public humiliation. Like Debbie said, participation is pretty low... . Hostesses can relay concerns via PM? Hostesses can make it clear in their guidelines whether they will allow late submissions or any other restrictions?

Yes, I think case-by-case, assuming it even happens, is the kindest way. I think what I experienced is a very rare occurrence.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Farley...you make ME wonder if I've screwed up?

Did I forget something...anyone? I'very been a bit scattered lately...
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
pugmom

Post by pugmom »

I'm with Pat. If it's not on my list, I'll probably forget to do it. If I forgot something, please start the flogging.
Sue in NC (formerly known as Sue in Colorado)
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I do not think I joined any swaps lately
If I did let me know
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

:shock: OMGosh all...sorry I've started this wave of paranoia. :lol:
FARLEY in Sacramento
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I think I'm with the consensus here that we deal with it on a case by case. I certainly have been on the hostess end and someone flaked and then didn't send the art on to the rightful recipient. Made for lots of frustration. I would definitely send a pm on to a hostess if I saw a person on a swap list that I knew was a habitual flaker and would hope that others would do that for me if I was hosting. I hope I haven't missed something recently and would hope someone would at least kick me privately if I did so I could make amends. ;)
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Well, because you brought it up... :lol:

Of course none of you are offenders. Deep breaths everyone! Of course, if it would make you feel better, just mail a piece of your artwork to me.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

paddlegal wrote:
pamcook wrote:Farley! :lol:

Yes, I think case-by-case, assuming it even happens, is the kindest way. I think what I experienced is a very rare occurrence.
I don't think it is all that rare, Farley. It happens on every group. And usually people who participate in swaps regularly know who the consistent flakers are. When that is the case, then I don't think those people should be allowed to join a swap especially if as someone said, it's a round robin depending on each person doing something. And for people to not return things at all is inexcusable.

Those people are completely different from we all forget at some point and real life gets in the way of the fun and that is totally excusable.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

pamcook wrote:Well, because you brought it up... :lol:

Of course none of you are offenders. Deep breaths everyone! Of course, if it would make you feel better, just mail a piece of your artwork to me.
Nice try, Pam! ;)
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com