Throwback Thursday Challenge - Shrinky Dinks

Keitha

Throwback Thursday Challenge - Shrinky Dinks

Post by Keitha »

If you saw my page last week with the ticket charm you might have guessed this was coming. I'm going to blame Marianne a bit for this too; while the thought definitely occurred to me, it wasn't until she mentioned it also that I decided to put it out there. I thought it went hand-in-hand with Pam's stamping challenge this month, but ended up going in a different direction myself.
Have you seen those t-shirts, mugs and bookmarks with 'Advice from a' bird or animal on them? I decided to do a card version. If you don't know what I'm talking about, Google can show you plenty of examples; it's also something I plan to try in my naturalist journal.
So the challenge then, is to use your shrink plastic. I've tacked this on the Scrapbooking board just so the TT challenges are all in one place, but any kind of project works. If you don't own any Shrinky Dinks there's lots of DIY information online about recycling various household plastics - even some types of styrofoam work apparently. Here I've used a Tim Holtz Bigz die, coloured with StazOn inks. This might end up being a birthday card, or maybe my Daughter's Day card this year.
Attachments
DSCN4871_r.jpg
DSCN4871_r.jpg (200.49 KiB) Viewed 328 times
DSCN4872_r.jpg
DSCN4872_r.jpg (186.42 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Monica

Re: Throwback Thursday Challenge - Shrinky Dinks

Post by Monica »

Very cool card, Keitha! I have shrinky dinks stuff, and courtesy of my purging and sorting even know where it is. Let me think on this a bit and see what I can come up with. :)
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I think my kids had this stuff decades ago.
Your card is so pretty!
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

That's great! So glad I was a 'good' influence to make this card happen. That inside verse is wonderful, too!

I didn't realize the name 'Shrinky Dinks" was still being used. I never really learned to do it successfully, many crispy critters in the oven when Robin was growing up, until I went to a CS event and learned how to flatten them.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I love that card, and I think the shrink plastic was a great way to highlight the cardinal. Did you have a stamp with that inside sentiment? or was that printed out? If the inside is a stamp, what a lucky stroke to find those two things that went together so well!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I bought a package of Shrinky Dinks years ago; fortunately the directions are included. I noticed recently you can still buy them in Michaels. I printed the banner on the front and inside of the card on my printer.
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

I love that! I had no clue what a Shrinky Dink was. I had to look it up! :lol:
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina