Winter Weather challenge

pamcook

Re: Winter Weather challenge

Post by pamcook »

jfugina wrote:
pbp908 wrote:Both of these takes on winter are wonderful. I actually printed some photos last night and then spent 2 hours rejecting every piece of paper I pulled out. :wtf:
So I'm not the only one? :lol: I have a ton of instances where photos literally sat for YEARS because every time I tried to pull paper, nothing worked. And I refuse to buy more just for a specific layout. So the photos go back to the bottom of the pile.

For winter, my issue is lack of photos though. I actually have quite a few empty layouts with winter themed embellishments just waiting for photos. I suppose I could take pictures of some other stuff - like the garage door when it gets stuck half-way up, or my car covered in salt or my tires that can't seem to stay pressurized. And then there's the deck door that sticks, and the downstairs door I have stuffed with paper towels because it's in desperate need of weather stripping.

OK... I think I'm convinced that I've figure out my winter challenge approach. HAHAHA!
What about sitting outdoors watching the marching band?
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Funny, I almost never choose my papers based on the colours in the photos - unless there's something that really stands out and not in a good way with what I've picked. I organize my papers by the themes I scrap, and realized years ago that paper companies usually stick to certain colour schemes with certain subjects. For instance collections labeled Outdoors/Camping/Nature tend to have earth-toned colours in them; I don't mean all browns and greens and oranges, but shades you'd find in nature, which go with the photos I tend to use them for. Kid-themed papers are usually bright colours unless they're baby/pastels - again usually matching the colours of the clothes they wear. This isn't a hard and fast rule, but has been my observation over the years. When I have generic papers that don't specify any one theme I typically organize them in the categories I'd most likely use them: bright, in-your-face colours in the kid section, greens and blues in the outdoors section, etc. Sometimes they've got themed embellishments that dictate the obvious choice. Usually when I'm picking papers I only pull one or two categories to look through and it's rare that I can't find something I like among them. Unless I've had some bright idea like using pirate paper from the kid section on a layout about boats, which I've done, but those decisions tend to happen before I've started choosing papers at all.
I'll grant you that B&W photos do allow for greater flexibility. Pam, your winter photos/layout is lovely. I recall scrapping photos pretty much devoid of colour like that a few years ago; I chose green paper as the photos were very serene.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

You've had more snow than we have, Pam! Winter photos are probably my favorites to scrap. You can do so much with them depending if it's sunny or not or what people are wearing.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

My problem is that there are no people in the photos and they're on a sunny day - bright blue and stark white. None of my snowy day embellishments or papers work with the photos. I'll have to do something out of the box for this.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pamcook wrote: What about sitting outdoors watching the marching band?
Marching band was over by the end of October. Mercifully, the winter music programs that are related to marching band all happen indoors. :D
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Laurie

Post by Laurie »

Kathryn... that's a beautiful layout.

Laurie
Laurie Bennett #118 on POA
North Carolina
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Pam what a great job on your photos. I'm so glad we haven't seen that much around here so I'll be passing on this challenge.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Pam and Kathryn I am swooning over both LOs. Kathryn your LO so captured an eerie or mournful type mood. Love the sloping fence detail. And Pam, your color sense always takes my breath away. Your winter photos are beautiful.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Photos from a birding trip yesterday morning; I really only took my camera so I could get some wintery shots for this challenge as I had none from this winter previously. So not the greatest photos, although I do like the one of the sculpted snow and am happy to have documented this outing. My title is a play on words, our target birds were Snowy Owls and Snow Buntings. My personal count was 7 Snowy Owls yesterday and the club total 11; they are pretty much impossible to spot with the naked eye sitting on the snow way, way back in the fields. We did see a drift of Snow Buntings, as well as lots of other hardy souls braving the bitter cold and wind who didn't have the advantage of popping back in a warm car. Simple Stories Winter Wonderland papers.
Attachments
DSCN4860_r.jpg
DSCN4860_r.jpg (204 KiB) Viewed 263 times
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Yay! I’m so glad you joined this challenge. The colors in the kit are perfect.
Bonus points for braving the cold with a camera. Are you in the photos? Extra bonus points, if so!
Pam Cook #48
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Keitha your snowy layout is great. Love all the birds you got a glimpse of. I have never been lucky enough to see owls other than on display somewhere.
Cheryl
Myrtle Beach
#59 in order PAO
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

Keitha, what a great "birding " day. You deserve seeing seven Snowy Owls after braving those sub-zero temperatures! I love your photo of the sculpted snowdrifts.
Kathryn.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Earlier this month in St. Paul...freezing out there.

A few of us went skating, and others were on the side line...where it was warm and an enclosed building was handy.
I was hesitant to skate, for my recent fear of ICE....otherwise I would have been out there!

Grandson Oliver has been out skating a few times, and today was using one of those helpers to skate most of the time, and was doing great. One day later he was out there with a hockey stick.

Grandson Arlo was content to be pushed around by his Dad (Douglas).

Son Daniel in orange/beige jacket, was fortunate to get a pair of skates from the facility....figure skates no less. Kinda funny for this hockey playing guy. He had a great time working with Oliver and Arlo.

We encountered zero snowfalls on our trip to the great North! 13 hours to get there...no flying for Greg. The return trip was broken up into 2 days. Missed the big snowfall in the Chicago area by a day...thank goodness.

rsz_dscn1577.jpg
rsz_dscn1577.jpg (223.71 KiB) Viewed 214 times
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Very nice, Pat!
troublesmom

Post by troublesmom »

Good one Pat! Isn't it fun watching the little ones play hockey