Throwback Thursday Challenge - Perfect Pearls

mpizzazz

Re: Throwback Thursday Challenge - Perfect Pearls

Post by mpizzazz »

EDelValle wrote:So..... that's what that bottle of gum arabic is for....

:D
Yes Pat is right. I think you can also use the embossing inks or you can mix them with paints and lots of other stuff I can't remember right now. We are on our way home from GA, spending tonight in Harrisonburg, VA, will get home tomorrow afternoon. If I didn't throw them out, I have some articles from magazines about them. But Youtube probably has it all.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Very pretty Keitha. Thanks for posting the link.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Oh, we must have been posting at once, Keitha, and I missed your card. I bet that really is stunning and shimmery in real life. It's a beautiful stamp.

You could use one of those nonstatic cloths or bags to wipe the cardstock first. I think people also use them before embossing.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Oh yeah! Gum Arabic...I knew there was a “gum” in it. :tomato:

Keitha that is stunning! I’ll watch her video tonight sometime. I need to look deeper into Jennifer’s videos. About a year or more ago she did a PP technique for card backgrounds that was fabulous. I made a few but can’t recall the technique. I’ll post a link if I can find it.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

mpizzazz wrote:... You could use one of those nonstatic cloths or bags to wipe the cardstock first. I think people also use them before embossing.
I actually tried that and the Perfect Pearls powder stuck worse to the cardstock in that area than where I hadn't brushed over. Was thinking I wish I had one of those guns to zap the positive ions with to make the PP less static - although i have no idea if that would work.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

Beautiful card! I'm looking forward to trying this. I have several jars of both PP and PEx. I use them quite a bit and use a big fluffy makeup brush to clean up the cardstock afterward. It doesn't get it all, but it gets a lot of the stray powder.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

azemigh wrote:Beautiful card! I'm looking forward to trying this. I have several jars of both PP and PEx. I use them quite a bit and use a big fluffy makeup brush to clean up the cardstock afterward. It doesn't get it all, but it gets a lot of the stray powder.
Thanks Rachelle, I'll have to try that. Heaven knows I don't use them for makeup LOL.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote:
azemigh wrote:Beautiful card! I'm looking forward to trying this. I have several jars of both PP and PEx. I use them quite a bit and use a big fluffy makeup brush to clean up the cardstock afterward. It doesn't get it all, but it gets a lot of the stray powder.
Thanks Rachelle, I'll have to try that. Heaven knows I don't use them for makeup LOL.

:lol: That IS a great idea. I have a big fluffy one that I used once only. Now I know what to do with it. Brilliant!
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Your card is beautiful. I’ve never figured out how to keep from getting stray PP on the card but I think it just adds to the look.
The kids and I need to make birthday cards. Might have to give this a try.
Pam Cook #48
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

Keitha that card is beautiful. I'm a sucker for glitter and glitz in any form, so I have quite a bit of Perfect Pearls. I never did the Pearl Ex. I'm off to pull them out and start shimmering.
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

Why this itty bitty challenge was so hard for me...who knows. Please don't judge me on the outcome. :lol: This is my final version, on Club Scrap's Written Word paper. It is a dark purple/blue with slight texture (note the imperfections)...not black. This is the first thing I've done in a while. Thanks for the kick in the "creative rear" Keitha...keep these challenges coming.
rsz_dscn1558.jpg
rsz_dscn1558.jpg (189.74 KiB) Viewed 254 times
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Your card is lovely Pat! Thanks for playing along ;)
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I always loved the texture of that kit, Pat. Your card is lovely.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Here are my experiments on using up a lot of Pearl Ex powder. Ha ha, a little of that powder goes a long way!

I used some diecuts and either glued the Pearl Ex on them or used the dies as masks to color the backgrounds.
P1210380.JPG
P1210380.JPG (167.49 KiB) Viewed 250 times
the second set were also dies that I glued the powder onto.
P1210387.JPG
P1210387.JPG (221.76 KiB) Viewed 250 times
since I didn't have any spray adhesive, I used stencil adhesive and then fixative over them at the end.

Observations:
I mixed up some powder and gum arabic to make silver spray-4 parts powder to 1 part gum arabic, then added water to make a spray. I'm betting this is basically what Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays are that you add your own water to.

Adding less water makes a paint of whatever consistency you want. You can mix them into any medium or paste.

The powders are mica and are supposed to be non toxic. Jacquard does state these are not makeup quality mica. Yesterday was mostly a sunny day and I could see all the powder suspended in the air. I covered my keyboard with paper but could see it all over the monitor this morning in the sun. So, I think I am going to mainly use them to make sprays and paints rather than continue using them like I did on the cards. I really like the outcomes but it was very messy.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Wow, Marianne, these are gorgeous. I especially love the deer card, but the others are equally fabulous. Thanks for your notes; it's good to be reminded what all we can do with them. I recall in a class years ago also dusting them on top of embossed wax before it set.