Week 4 - Summertime Challenge

Keitha

Re: Week 4 - Summertime Challenge

Post by Keitha »

ScrappinJen wrote:Very cool. Love the art. I wish I could draw.
Well, according to Julie Fei-Fan Balzer this morning, Yes, You Can Draw. LOL, that's the title of a class she's teaching this weekend. Jen, you may not think you can draw although I'm sure you can trace ;) Giving away my secrets here; first I sketched my frog using the shapes method; you break your subject down into simple shapes like circles and ovals, and then connect those shapes together and refine it. I was struggling getting exactly the proportions I wanted though, so in the end I traced the outline from my photo, and then transferred that to my page to paint. As Marianne and I discussed earlier, we're both more interested in the painting/colouring part of sketch journaling than the drawing part. Although I intend to keep practicing; eventually I'd like to have the confidence to sketch in the field.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Debbie, i'm so glad that your cousin "made" you do some scrapping. You need that time for yourself.

Keitha, glad you posted your frog here!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Good job on the frog! And educational as well. I never knew those things about frogs.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

This is my set up in the garage. It's pretty dang hot in there but I get what I need and scrap on the kitchen table for now. I had that desk unit built in and I really like it. It will be nice when it cools down to 90 so I can use it.
Attachments
scrapgarage.jpg
scrapgarage.jpg (192.44 KiB) Viewed 306 times
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I love it!
Pam Cook #48
nancine

Post by nancine »

It looks great, but I feel you with scrapping in the garage and the heat.
Mark is going to look into an unit for the garage for heating and cooling.
I find bringing stuff in a pain - at least for card making. Too much or I'm running back and forth ( our garage is detached). But I love my space!
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Debbie, that looks fabulous! I'm quite envious of all those Alex carts; I'd love to have room for even a second one here.

Edited to add: Debbie, I hope you'll also post this layout in the Organizational forum. Inspiration for those of us (me!) currently working on getting the studio in order.
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Keitha.... looks like I'm a little late on joining that class... but... what a super idea... I've been toying with starting to do a little sketching again.... I did a lot back in college when we had to sketch the things we saw... whether they were through the microscope or on field hikes.... I was thinking about jumping into one of the 100-day challenges but I'm not sure I'd have time on all 100 days to do a sketch... but... thinking about naturalist observations.... I may just jump in and see if I can sketch/watercolor some of the things I see out here.... thanks for the frog image to spark the idea.... LOVE frogs!! :-)
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

nchoney wrote:Keitha.... looks like I'm a little late on joining that class... but... what a super idea... I've been toying with starting to do a little sketching again.... I did a lot back in college when we had to sketch the things we saw... whether they were through the microscope or on field hikes.... I was thinking about jumping into one of the 100-day challenges but I'm not sure I'd have time on all 100 days to do a sketch... but... thinking about naturalist observations.... I may just jump in and see if I can sketch/watercolor some of the things I see out here.... thanks for the frog image to spark the idea.... LOVE frogs!! :-)
Debi please post what you sketch; it might inspire me to do even more. Who knows? We might eventually need a sketching board here, LOL. If you're interested, there's a very active - and somewhat intimidating - group called Sketchbook Skool. They've a Facebook page, lots of good YouTube videos, klasses, etc. It's a pretty friendly community with lots of very talented artists and because of the classes they offer some novices posting as well.
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Love that garage space. Can't fathom the heat in Phoenix. I have a scrappy set up in my garage for my glittery messy wet stuff. Can't even look at it right now. I start sweating just getting supplies out. Don't think about firing up a heat tool.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Yeah Jen, it's too hot now but when it cools off it will be perfect. I had an exhaust fan installed on the roof of the garage and that helps suck out the hot air too. I'll enjoy it this winter for sure!