November 2016 Layout Sketch Challenge

Keitha

November 2016 Layout Sketch Challenge

Post by Keitha »

Here's a Nov challenge for those who like working with sketches. I was surprised that this sketch only dates back to 2012 - did we really put safety pins on our pages? LOL - but I think the bones of it are classic and relevant still if like me, you can't decide on just 1 or 2 photos. And for the single page scrappers, I think the right side would lend itself nicely.
7 photos SCT_Summer_2012_Double_Sketch_r.jpg
7 photos SCT_Summer_2012_Double_Sketch_r.jpg (222.91 KiB) Viewed 654 times
Talk about hoarding - the paper and matching vellum here are from 2004. In fact this was a product-driven page; I knew I had these papers to use for my Route 66 album so chose my photos with them in mind. Sometimes a layout resists embellishments as this one seemed to, although I did manage a few different textures. I'm still debating a few drops of gold Color Shine, although am not sure how it will react on the vellum.
DSCN3035_r.jpg
DSCN3035_r.jpg (223.2 KiB) Viewed 654 times
jfugina

Re: November 2016 Layout Sketch Challenge

Post by jfugina »

I like the sketch and I love your take on it! I tend to take sketches quite literally, and it's interesting that they use two different patterned papers for the background papers. I'm interested to see if I can make that work without it turning into a big pattern mess. :D

I don't think I have any safety pins, but I know I have some other chunky embellishments that would serve the same purpose.

Thanks for the challenge!
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Thanks for posting this and I love your take on it!
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Great sketch and your own LO is wonderful. I really like your journaling strips on the left page. Good job using paper from 2004!
FARLEY in Sacramento
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Oh, Rebecca, if only that was our orange cat you found and then took away! ;)

I love this layout and all the more because for years I've heard about the hoard of Route 66 products that Keitha had collected for this trip-someday! Finally they did the trip and the products are now timeless.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Want to talk about hoarding? I still have some colored safety pins. :lol: :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

me too
I used them a few times
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I probably still have some coloured safety pins too; not sure I ever did use any on a layout! Marianne, that cat was just hanging around our door when we left in the morning; Rebecca was making friends left, right and center all during our trip (burros in Oatman, roosters in Seligman...) And that's exactly what I'm hoping, that once these old papers make it in the album they'll become timeless.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Heh. I still have a substantial collection of brads and eyelets. Does anyone ever use those anymore?

Though, I should say that I had some concept of how to use brads and eyelets when they wI'ere the "in thing". They lended a very simple geometric detail. Thankfully I never acquired any safety pins, or I'd still have those, certainly. When I'm making a layout, metal is never ever something that comes to mind. I have an entire drawer that I just labeled "bling", and it has all things shiny and sparkly, including metal. That drawer is a surprise every time I open it, and I usually just give those things the same bewildered look, and close the drawer.

That drawer is where I should start this challenge. It's full of things I've had forever. I could double-dip this with Pam's challenge. ;)
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Monica

Post by Monica »

*raises hand* Guilty with the brads and eyelets. Never got into safety pins, as they remind me too much of changing diapers when I was younger.

Love the sketch though. I spent last Sunday going through my large photo storage box sorting grouping photos so I can get them scrapped and justify printing off more. (Like that ever works... I print new anyway!) This sketch will work will for some of the pictures!
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I used a ton of eyelets last year when I made my Chihuly minibook, although I haven't used any since. Except for the larger ones when I wanted to finish a hole to thread ribbon through or something like that. I still like them though; I wonder if they'll ever make a comeback?

As for metal in general, I always liked it. I may have gone overboard stocking up on all things TH metal over the years... lately I don't seem to reach for it on layouts as I've been trying for a more contemporary look, although I don't know why I worry about this as I always love my layouts once they're done and in the albums. Because I don't scrap chronologically the new end up with the old and it's all good. I'm still deciding what hoarded items need to get used this month.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I have tons of brads and eyelets. I don't care if they are out of style, I still use them. We should have a challenge on using eyelets and brads....... I'll think on it.
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I do :greenbounce: :greenbounce:

I use brads more than eyelets
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Brads are more forgiving and have survived the transition to the "new" scrapping. There can be anything, any size on top and you don't see the underneath. People could even think it was flair!

Where as an eyelet is an eyelet... At this point with eyelets I think you have to make an unapologetic statement. Not one or two but 20 or 30 or 50 on a layout. Just think how good it would feel pounding in all those eyelets... Ok, maybe I need some stress relief! :lol: :cool5: :drunk:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Oh yeah, brads and eyelets. I am positive they have multiplied on their own. During my Club Scrap days I typically was a Hearty Appetite member as well as the Stamp Club member. I got months, no years worth of those little containers of brads and eyelets. Even though I have a Big Bite Crop-A-Dial, brads are still a PITA to use. I use the occasional brad though and still like them.
FARLEY in Sacramento