October 2016 Layout Sketch Challenge

Keitha

October 2016 Layout Sketch Challenge

Post by Keitha »

I hope you'll forgive me for hijacking this topic as I haven't seen a layout sketch this month. This is at least the 3rd time I've used this old class sketch; I find it's a great way to get a lot of photos on a page without it getting too chaotic. And for those of you doing single pages, the left side could easily be used on its own.

This time I rotated the photo blocks to better suit my photos. I may have actually mastered this photo collage thing, and am happy to have used 8 different kinds of embellishments. For those of you familiar with Barn Quilts, this area (Prince Edward County, Ontario) has a trail; the example on the barn is just one of over 100 in the county.
Attachments
sketch.jpg
sketch.jpg (196.8 KiB) Viewed 687 times
DSCN2981_r.jpg
DSCN2981_r.jpg (204.64 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Debbie J

Re: October 2016 Layout Sketch Challenge

Post by Debbie J »

I will definitely be using this. I have a ton of whale watching photos and I want to scrap them all!!

Thanks for the layout sketch.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Thanks Keitha and I love, love your take on the design. Gorgeous papers and embellishments.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Thanks Keitha for picking up the challenge. I think this might work for birds :lol:

I haven't done any scrapping again for months so this is a great jump start inspiration.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

What is that on the second page top right? Kind of looks like a sunflower.
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Here is my take on the sketch.
Attachments
P1000553.JPG
P1000553.JPG (179.49 KiB) Viewed 656 times
P1000551.JPG
P1000551.JPG (169.87 KiB) Viewed 656 times
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Great job, Debbie! I love whale watching; looks like you had a successful outing. I love the little details, like the whale washi tape.
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Debbie J wrote:What is that on the second page top right? Kind of looks like a sunflower.
Yes it's a sunflower head. This was at the little fall fair we went to where they have various classes to enter and it won for largest seed head. This is kind of sad/funny: of course there was a scrapbooking class in the handmade section. There was one entry - it was a CM-style single Disney page with photos cut into shapes and embellished with diecuts made using deco scissors, title and journaling written by hand. As the only entry it took the ribbon for first place. I cringed when I saw it and said to my friend (who is not a scrapbooker but has seen some of my pages) that it's layouts like that that give scrapbooking a bad name where everyone figures it's an old granny hobby, because that's all they ever see. I could just imagine everyone who came to that fair, if they didn't already have a preconceived notion of what scrapbooking was, going home with that image for Scrapbooking in 2016.

I get that it's just a little community fair, but this is in an area that is known for its abundance of artist's studios, award-winning wineries, etc. so it's not like they aren't exposed to creativity. Where did scrapbooking go so wrong that pages circa 1998 are the only thing the general populace knows?
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I love this sketch, and I love your version of it Keitha!

Deb - I need to go whale watching again - your layouts are great, and serve as a reminder that my first (only) whale watching trip was one of the very firs ever scrapbook pages I made. I cropped the photos all in funky shapes (it was the thing back then), so it's not like I can lift them and re-do them. So I clearly need another whale watching experience. :D
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Debbie - you were right. Perfect sketch for all those pictures. I like how you're able to zoom right into each one.
Pam Cook #48
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I decided to get right on this one - started it right after I got home, then finished after dinner. These are all of the "in the shop" photos that support Nicole's Room 14 project. The papers are from the Sweetness collection from Pink Paislee.
Attachments
IMG_4013.jpg
IMG_4013.jpg (75.23 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Julie Fugina
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Very nice Julie. I like all the feminine touches.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Thanks Deb! I wish I was clever with titles. I tried for a while to figure out something regarding a girly girl and her power tools. :lol: But I just couldn't figure it out. The layout came first, and then I just decided to go ahead with that stack of photos since they were right in front of me.
Julie Fugina
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

The feminine touches with the power tools is perfect!

Yeah - I'd rather journal than try to come up with a title. Thank goodness for all the titles in ephemera packs now! I use ideas from PL cards or even just the cards. Works for me.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Thanks for playing along Julie; I too like the feminine touches with the shop subject. Kudos to Nicole; that's worthy project and she did a great job.

Sounds like your whale watching page could have given that layout at the fair a run for first prize ;)