Weekend Projects?

nchoney

Weekend Projects?

Post by nchoney »

What's everyone up to this weekend?

I've got a project that's going to keep me busy... I'm making an Animal scrapbook for a baby shower... they asked that we give the new mom a book for the baby.... she's a super lady and the more I thought about it, the more I figured our resources out here were limited and she's probably going to get duplicates of books... so what better way to give her a book that no one else will give her.. than to make one of from scratch. (what was I thinking? just go buy a book, right?) I've got SO many photos of animals, though... from zoo visits and aquariums and just wandering around... so I've just finished browsing through years of photos (one reason I'm glad I spent all that time gathering all my CDs and getting ALL the digital photos onto one hard drive) ... and I've come up with about 100 photos... some of them are multiples of one animal (I'll see which photo works best or I'll use a couple/few on one page) .... so I'll definitely have less than 100 pages... and they're going to be super simple (at least that's my plan) ... I'm printing photos now... once I start making pages, I'll start sharing them... the really sucky part of this is that I have to be in a training class all day on the day of the shower so I won't be there :-(

So... wish me luck!!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
mpizzazz

Re: Weekend Projects?

Post by mpizzazz »

Wow, what a wonderful idea, Debi. Are you going to do it as an alphabet book or random animals, birds, etc?

I just finished a quilting project for the May Mighty Lucky Club Lesson. There were 12 exercises making the same block with the same fabrics but using different arrangements in scale and contrast. Same sort of design principles we use in scrapping or cardmaking. It's been very interesting but I'm glad the 12 blocks are finished. Another day I'll sew them together, border and quilt it into a small wall hanging. Glad I chose fabrics I like.

Ready to start something new and get a little messy. My little purchase of dies and embossing folders arrived today!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Debi, that sounds like a wonderful project! I'll look forward to seeing your photos.

Marianne, please share your quilt when it's sewn together. Meanwhile, what dies/embossing folders did you buy?

I think the sun is calling me outside for a bit, but I hope to get crafty later. Maybe by the time I come in I'll know what I want to work on, LOL.
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

Oh rats... I didn't go to the post office today... my dies might be there, too! Maybe we'll check if we head out this evening...

I think I'm going to put them in sections... or maybe just totally randomly... I thought about an alphabet book, but I don't have photos of my own to fill in some of those letters and I want it to be all my own photos

I'm still printing... poor little PictureMate is getting a workout today ... and then I'll start using the diecutter to cut any and everything I think might go with these photos. I want the embellishments to be simple and flat :-)
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

There's plenty I could be doing, and a lot I should be doing, but I don't feel like doing any of it.

I think a nap might be in order. :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pbp908 wrote:There's plenty I could be doing, and a lot I should be doing, but I don't feel like doing any of it.

I think a nap might be in order. :lol:

:lol: You just described me Pam! I think it's our heat that is making me this way after the last 7 days of triple digits. Oh...just checked...make that 8 days straight of triple digits. It's 101 right now and it's not the hottest part of the day yet.

But this morning a friend and I went to a rubber stamp show here in town. It's a small one which means you can go through it in 2 hours, buy what you want and be done before lunch time...which we did. Got some wonderful bird stamps from Rubberneckers plus one stamp set of poppies. That company always does great demos. So I hope to get to these stamps this weekend and play. But first I absolutely have to make a card for my niece's 17th birthday and get it and her gift all ready to mail Monday.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I ordered the tile for our bathroom remodel and then investigated toilets at Home Depot. Don't hate me. Laundry is done and Mia's mini album is done and now we're heading out to see the new Jason Bourne movie. It's thundering like crazy but no hope of cooler temperatures. Who ever thought July in the South was a good idea? #thankyouJesusforairconditioning
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

We had a day of clouds and lots of rain so while it's still humid the temps are in the 70s. :tomato:
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

It's been threatening to rain since late afternoon, but so far nothing. Lots of thunder and a scared dog and cat. Anyone ever heard of a cat being afraid of thunder before this one? Silly thing. I'm afraid our storm was described beautifully by Shakespeare - all sound and fury but signifying nothing.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I'm currently fighting with my Silhouette Cameo, but think I might win this battle. Last time I used it I printed several images on one paper, but only cut one. Now I want to cut the others - so of course had to watch the tutorial yet again to see where I'd left off and what to do next. Well, my machine is cutting - but despite not selecting/tracing the area previously cut it decided to cut around that design again. Good thing my mat is sticky. Note to self: not a good idea to leave paper loaded on the cutting mat for very long. I foolishly thought I'd be back to it before weeks had gone by; good thing I wasn't cutting an intricate design with a gazillion little bits left to pry off.

Does it ever become easy or intuitive?
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Like so many things, if I don't do something regularly, I forget how. If I've been away from my KNK I have to do some thinking for some of the more advanced techniques.

About those sticky mattes: I go to great lengths to never let the pinch wheels touch the matte. I always add a second piece of cheep card stock above the sheet I am cutting on. This way if it rolls past my project paper the wheels will still be on a clean sheet. I learned that the hard way a few years ago. Gummed up a pinch wheel and even though it was my fault, KNK replaced the entire wheel housing! Their service is remarkable. Also once I've cut out an item on a sheet, I know I better do other cuts at the same time or I will have to use the remaining uncut paper as scrap. The reason being the same thing. If there is an open area on the matte from a previous cut a wheel is sure to run over the sticky opening.

Keitha, hope your project turns out well and you show us what you are making.
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Great advice about keeping the sticky off the wheels, thanks. I'm playing in an art journal and so far don't have anything I feel is worthy of public consumption. But you never know!
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

On my Silhouette, the wheels only roll on the unsticky part of the mat. You two must have more rollers than I. Perhaps that's why yours cut better. Less movement of paper???
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

ScrappinJen wrote:On my Silhouette, the wheels only roll on the unsticky part of the mat. You two must have more rollers than I. Perhaps that's why yours cut better. Less movement of paper???
I guess that would explain why I've never noticed a problem with the Cameo. I hadn't even thought about it.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Stopped by Tuesday Morning. Folks have been excited about the die cutting machine fir $39.99. Don't need one but right next to it were Ott Lights for $14.99. I'm sure I paid more than that for a replacement bulb a few months ago. Now I have two for my little desk-in-the-closet. Deal.
Pam Cook #48