May 2016 Scrapbook Sketch Challenge

ScrappinJen

Re: May 2016 Scrapbook Sketch Challenge

Post by ScrappinJen »

Okay, I’m not sure you can see it but I used some decorative edge scissors on the green strip on the left side as well as the journal card. I’m ashamed at how many of these scissors I have that are going unused. My Dad bought me a mega pack of them at a big box store eighteen years ago. These scissors fulfill a challenge over at Club Scrap to use our old decorative edge scissors.

Now that I see this layout on the big screen I fear it looks a bit like a hot mess. Kit used is Simply Avant. The photos are of glass mosaic tile art walls at our local SMUD building. Utility Department. The art was designed by Wayne Thiebaud in 1957 before anyone knew who he was. (He is a local). I have driven by this building on Highway 50 for forty years always promising myself to stop “some day” and grab some photos of this art. FINALLY, in 2013, I forced my hubby to stop there on a quiet Saturday. Thiebaud is my hero and it amazes me that I can see his art from the freeway, whenever I want. There will be a pocket page on the opposite side to explain some of these details and facts. The art is called Water City. Thanks for looking. I guess it's about time I post my sample for this sketch. Sorry for my tardiness.
Attachments
Thiebaud PAO May sketch.jpg
Thiebaud PAO May sketch.jpg (220.13 KiB) Viewed 222 times
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Hey, I'm getting a complex here.

Hope this just got buried. But it may be that you all agree with me that this layout is a hot mess.

I'll try to make another one.
Monica

Post by Monica »

Sorry, Jen! I really like the way your layout turned out. And I'm trying to come up with how I want to do the sketch myself.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Thanks, Monica, and I forgot to add that I actually used sequins on the layout AND they are from my recent purchase of some of May Flaum's Lilac Lane packs. Ohmygosh, I am capable of NOT hoarding.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Yikes, this did get buried Jen. Glad you gave it a goose. Wonderful LO for such a cool subject. Your colors are perfect for his mosaic. No hot mess at all.

I love passing by the SMUD building at night to see it lit up. It's like a wall of jewels. Wayne Thiebaud is certainly one of Sacramento's claim to fame. For years I had a poster of his in Charley's room when he was just a baby. It was one of his "cakes" that he did that was used for the State Fair's poster. Can't remember what year it was from.
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Hey hey, Farley. I still have one on the wall in my hallway. The one of a jack in the box from the 1988 State Fair. Thanks for your comments.
nancine

Post by nancine »

I tried several things to make the dangle-y things and it just didn't look right. But I had my heart set on making this sketch layout with these photos and the Paris Fleamarket kit!
Attachments
MaySketchKate.JPG
MaySketchKate.JPG (166.46 KiB) Viewed 196 times
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

ADORABLE!!! Wonderful colors Nancy.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

so cute!!
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Again, I must say I love this. The layout is great but that little face....just adorbs.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

So pretty, Nancy.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

Well, I guess this sketch was a big bomb. I'm working on the next one for June. Hopefully, it will entice more participants.

I wanted to do one more for this sketch because I thought my first one was a bit of a hot mess. Also, wanted to use up some Stampin Up product as well as actually put ink on this stamp and die set from Stephanie Barnard. Multi-tasking to the end.

The photos are woefully inadequate but they do serve to preserve the wonderful memories of all of us watching a pod of blue whales as they passed the house at the Coast. Even with my long lens, the spouts are barely visible. And reducing the pixels in order to post makes them invisible. I have a pocket page on the opposite side which I will post as soon as I type my journaling.

Thanks for looking. Keep your eyes open for the June sketch. Are there any preferences out there which would make you more inclined to play along? More photos, less photos, 4x6 photos only??? Lemme know.
Attachments
PAO May Sketch 2.jpg
PAO May Sketch 2.jpg (226.2 KiB) Viewed 159 times
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Great pages!im going to go work in this now. I'm not sure how I kept forgetting to do this challenge. You know I'm typically waiting for your challenges!
Pam Cook #48
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I thought so, Pam. I figured you just didn't care for it. I think you were too busy preparing for, being at and unpacking from the Beach.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

You're probably right Jen!
I thought I had some of Shimelle's rocket die cuts. When I realized I didn't, I decided to use these photos instead. July 2012. I should print the rest if the photos from that week.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (153.27 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Pam Cook #48