Organizing Collage Images

mpizzazz

Organizing Collage Images

Post by mpizzazz »

Since I've been cutting out a lot of images from magazines, I'm wondering how you all organize them (if you do). Right now I have them thrown into a big shallow box and rummage through looking when I want something. I'm thinking of sorting them into general themes and keeping in folders, I don't know, any suggestions??
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
ChristyB

Re: Organizing Collage Images

Post by ChristyB »

It depends
I use ziploc bags for some--break them down into words, clothing, nature etc. You can squeeze all the air out so they lay flat. Larger images or whole sheets that I rip from magazines I organize in one of those expandable file holders that have several openings (like large coupon organizer)
For collage sheets that I have bought or been given I use a 3 ring binder with page protectors. Each sheet gets a page and I can just leaf through when I want.
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

you mean we were supposed to organize those, too??? bwahahah....I have some in an expandable plastic envelope like I keep my monthly kits in....and some in a three drawer tupperware-like container, some in a bag on the bed (my latest acquisitions), some in the envelopes they came in (PIF), some are in a little pile on my scrap table, and some are in the container where I throw experiments, BB technique ATCs....well, you get the picture.....
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

On the flip side I do have this laying out.
Ruth Ann Landry

Post by Ruth Ann Landry »

ok, that's more like it...
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

notice I even have some naked barbies lying out :roll:
Monica

Post by Monica »

ChristyB wrote:notice I even have some naked barbies lying out :roll:
Anatomy lessons?? ROFL!

Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
n8tvtexan

Post by n8tvtexan »

Ruth Ann Landry wrote:you mean we were supposed to organize those, too??? bwahahah....
That was my EXACT Thought!!!!! My images are all in a plastic bin, waiting to be used. My PIF items received are still in their envelopes too. (well the ones I havent used yet are anyway.)
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

More inspiration in one place if
you just keep them all together
unless you're looking for something in
particular, then that can be frustrating
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
Luanne

Post by Luanne »

When I have full collage sheets I keep the 'master' in 3 ring binders, and make copies at Kinkos. I keep those behind the master. For agazine images, I keep them in a shoebox, no order. I do take them out and mix them up every once in a while, or I just pull from the top and forget about the bottom ones.

Absolutely no order to them.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Yes, there are good points to what Elizabeth and Luanne say. So many times serendipity plays a big part in what I use on a layout or card but stuff is still sorted by color for that.
But I'm finding all the images to be frustrating. I have divided them loosely into several general themes. I can always throw them back into the big box if sorted doesn't work.

Thanks!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Luanne

Post by Luanne »

In that case:

People
Animals
food
flowers
buildings
other
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

That's about right, Luanne. So far I have:

People-I only have 3-guess I don't like people much!
Animals
Asian
Sculptural/architectural
Flowers
Land/seascapes
Background Textures
Maps
Text
Music
Art Reproductions
Black and White sketches from Gourmet magazines-a lot of the magazines were old Gourmets and back then they illustrated the pages with great little sketches mostly in black and white.
Color sketches from Gourmet magazine
Other small Focal points
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
Holly

Post by Holly »

My pifs are in a bin too, although they now have become rather mixed, I would have a very hard time trying to remember who sent what.