Looking for scanner for copying slides

ChristyB

Looking for scanner for copying slides

Post by ChristyB »

We have a gazillion slides from when DH was little and even before he was born. Now with his dad being sick scanning them has become top priority.
Any advice on what scanner/printer is good for scanning slides. I know we could send them out but we have hundreds.
We all have Macs so something compatible with them.

TIA
ChristyB

Re: Looking for scanner for copying slides

Post by ChristyB »

Thanks for all the pms
I moved the topic so that others can reply--need to pay more attention when I post ;)
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I've got an Epson V500 Photo scanner and it does a good job. Scanning slides is slow work, though, regardless of whatever you purchase, unless you buy specific equipment for it.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
julierealtor

Post by julierealtor »

I think Annette did this a couple of years ago Christy...
bethrich

Post by bethrich »

Just be careful to check reviews. I saw a little one in a catalog and then the reviews sucked. I like my Epson 2580 for slides and negatives. It is one at a time on the slides. It feeds in the 35mm negative strips and can process them a bit more automatically. If you had hollered two weeks ago I could have lent it to you. We only have 4 scanners and wouldn't miss it for 6 months. :D
Come on up to the Triangle and get it!
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I have an HP scanner, and I got it specifically for the slide and negative scanning, but it was awful. The scanner is a couple years old now, but I was amazed at how bad a job it did when it was new. Let me know if you find something that works well. We've had a slide scanning project waiting for years also.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
jmp1022

Post by jmp1022 »

I'm on my 3rd HP scanner. This one I bought for the slides and negatives.
Always worked perfect. My brother had one too but it didn't scan as
well as mine. He usually came to my house for an important picture.

I got a scanner separate. Not one with a printer with it.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
tichwoli

Post by tichwoli »

Yes I did - about 30,000 of them and it took forever because the scanner I have only does 4 slides at a time (epson).

If you google "slides to dvd conversion" you will find lots of services out there who do this with speed and at not too extorionate a cost. The only down side to using such a service is that "do you trust them with your precious memories".

As yet I have not tried any of them so cannot give you a recommendation.

Good luck.
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

I'm not promoting it, because I have no idea how it works but............

I was in Staples the other day and they have a whole host of computer add-ons and one of them was an attachment made specifically for transferring slides to jpegs. The only thing that stopped me is that my new computer is not quite finished yet. I'm doing everything on a lap-top and I love it, but I miss that big keyboard and the bigger monitor.

I'm going to return and get the name and additional information and do a google search to see if anyone uses it and likes it or not. I did recognize the manufacturer name the minute I saw it and can't recall it now - but it was a well known name brand.

Check that out. I know I will because I have about a million slides from many years ago that I haven't seen in ages because my viewer died long ago.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

I have a CanoScan 600 (canon) slides and negatives and I do like the quality I get, but again, it is a 4 at a time deal and takes some time.
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Christy emailed this info out to several of us a few days ago. I saved it because I've got tons of slides that I'd like to convert, and 4 at a time is way too slow.

Christy's email:
Several of us were talking about scanning slides while at ReCreate. I was talking about how we have been scanning thousands of DH's Dad's slides. We used ScanCafe through Snapfish. Not only do they scan the slides for you but upload them to your snapfish account, send the slides back to you along with a cd or dvd with the images on it as well.

ScanCafe

http://www.snapfish.com/snapfish/scancafe

Christy
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

thanks for posting this here as well Pam.
I had forgotten I had ever even asked this question
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

That is great to know about that service. We still need to do something about our slides but there aren't enough to warrant buying a good quality scanner to do it ourselves.
Thanks for posting!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com