Questions re: Travel Journals

Keitha

Re: Questions re: Travel Journals

Post by Keitha »

I've looked at those Victorian photo albums on Etsy; I think I'd be afraid to mess one up with what you have to pay to get them!

Although keeping a travel journal on my New Brunswick road trip was an epic fail, I did appreciate the days I had found time to make notes about what we did on certain days. What notes I had were mostly in bullet point form, but I had recorded some little details that I never would have remembered by the time I scrapped the pages. I will definitely keep trying, because my scrapbooks are realized months and years after the fact as well. Thinking I would make some notes at the end of the day would never work for me; I'm useless late at night, with the odd exception that many of my more inspired scrapbooking ideas come to me as I'm falling asleep. I'm going to try and make a point to write in my journal every morning while having breakfast at the very least.
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

I take a small lined notebook and pencil in my bag, so it's handy to whip out and add a few lines during the day. I write where we are, what we've seen, what the weather's like, any quirky or amusing happening, food, what I've thought about things. Like Keitha, it could be months before I make the holiday album, and I'm always glad to get the notebook out and relive the holiday. At home I write in my Page a Day journal every evening. I've been doing it for ten years and I wish I'd started it sooner!
Kathryn.
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

katymjo wrote:I take a small lined notebook and pencil in my bag, so it's handy to whip out and add a few lines during the day. I write where we are, what we've seen, what the weather's like, any quirky or amusing happening, food, what I've thought about things. Like Keitha, it could be months before I make the holiday album, and I'm always glad to get the notebook out and relive the holiday. At home I write in my Page a Day journal every evening. I've been doing it for ten years and I wish I'd started it sooner!
Kathryn.
I'm glad you chimed in, Kathryn, I was thinking of your little travel notebooks and how you use them much as a reminder of your trip for your journaling on layouts.

Keitha, making notes about what you did during the day like Christy and Kathryn do is very different from what I am doing. I'm replacing scrapbooking with a written journal, all the stuff that we collect that never made it onto layouts before and just a few special photos. If I was scrapping trips like I used to before Ray did the blog, I wouldn't do the type of journals I do now. But I might write a bit about what we did each day as a reminder. That's just a reminder, it's not a finished product.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
katymjo

Post by katymjo »

I made this a few years ago to take all the things I collected in France. I made a digital album of the trip, so I had all this stuff that needed a home. The pages with pockets are made from cardstock and there is some Tim Holtz paper too ( that I could not think how to use otherwise). It's all held together with book rings.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (141.72 KiB) Viewed 223 times
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

That's a lot nicer than the plastic bags I used to use, Kathryn!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

Kathryn, that's a great way to corral all those things and a nice companion to your digital layouts. Not to mention a great way to use some papers - especially some of those hard-to-use ones. I was just thinking this morning that as I've been scrapping my Route 66 trip I haven't given a thought to the memorabilia I bought home, but am happy with my established method of putting it all in a plastic 3-ring ziplock envelope that I can add to the back of my album, as I have done with several other trips.
fuzzylover

Post by fuzzylover »

WOW, I can't believe your travel journals. I just got a small size 3 ring binder and some pocket folders and pages from Staples. Everything went into there and when I got home I organized it all. I have to say, it was an amazing help with recognizing pictures. My notes had dates and the pictures were time stamped so even though many streets and such in Spain and Portugal looked very similar, I could easily identify where the pics were taken.

Mine was so simple - and your's are all beautiful!!