Confessions of a Marker Addict

paddlegal

Confessions of a Marker Addict

Post by paddlegal »

Purging involves not only parting with items but examing the need for collecting in the first place. Is it the thirst for crafting knowledge and pushing the envelope of techniques or is it just how we respond to all those pretty colors? I will point out in my lame defense that you are looking at 20 years of my growing collection. I am diligently testing every single marker for its fluidity. Dry of course are getting tossed and duplicates put aside for donation or garage sale.

This is feeling good telling you all this and doing something about it. :oops: and yes that briefly clean desk is now a bit messy but that's ok. All thes markers were in two drawers but will be culled down to fit in one. I just did the same with my doodad drawer. Making progress as long as it continues to rain and we don't have to jump in our kayaks.
Attachments
IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG (113.63 KiB) Viewed 686 times
FARLEY in Sacramento
pamcook

Re: Confessions of a Marker Addict

Post by pamcook »

If you hide all your markers in a bottom drawer you can pretend you don't have the problem you described. Just sayin'.
Pam Cook #48
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

:lol: I should have thought of that before Pam.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I suppose if I put all of my markers together my collection would be very close to yours. I have no idea why I have them, because I don't use them. Never have.

I think I've just discovered the next thing to go.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

pbp908 wrote:I suppose if I put all of my markers together my collection would be very close to yours. I have no idea why I have them, because I don't use them. Never have.

Because the COLORS. Because just in case I need that shade of purple. Because I have a coupon. Because I'm out of control.
Pam Cook #48
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I think a couple other factors are at play also: 'if I just had that shade of marker/type of paste/specific die' my work would be as good as so-and-so's'. Not to mention FOMO - Fear Of Missing Out. Whatever the reasons, it's fun to play.

Farley, you're making great progress. Keep sharing - it makes me think about purging, too.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Some school is going to be very happy to get just the markers alone. Playing with my craft buddies today. But when I get home I'm attacking the sticker/chip board collection. The only problem with that is I've started using them again. But I'm sure there's some that can go. Like Keitha suggested...the alpha sheets that really can't spell much anymore.
FARLEY in Sacramento
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

pamcook wrote:
pbp908 wrote:I suppose if I put all of my markers together my collection would be very close to yours. I have no idea why I have them, because I don't use them. Never have.

Because the COLORS. Because just in case I need that shade of purple. Because I have a coupon. Because I'm out of control.
This.... both of these, actually. Exactly my situation (tons of markers I never use) and exactly why I have them.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

Reading all this, I'm glad I decided about 15 years ago, that I really don't like markers much. I seldom use them except at Christmas card writing time. I still have some of my original Le Plume markers, one 'recent' pack of Pitt Pens and some old Zig markers that were for tinting photos! I keep them all going by adding Refresher to them. I was really tempted by the Distress markers but resisted.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
Monica

Post by Monica »

I admit to having Memento markers and Distress markers, in spite of not being a marker person, but I use them for touch-ups because the colors match. Although with the Distress markers I've found a couple that don't, which is odd given that Tim has said it's the same ink as the inkpads and reinkers. *shrug* But I decided years ago that, as much as I love the look of markers, they really aren't my cup of tea unless they are sharpies. I use fine line sharpies for almost all my scrapbook journaling and photo indexing.

And now that I'm thinking about Distress markers I'm remembering that they do create a wonderful watercolor effect with stamped images. I really need to pull them out and play.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
nancine

Post by nancine »

the Distress markers are a waste of money if you ask me. Dry up fast and colors are not consistent.
A friend and I were working with them one day - same color pen and TOTALLY different colors when we used them. :wtf:
Monica

Post by Monica »

nancine wrote:the Distress markers are a waste of money if you ask me. Dry up fast and colors are not consistent.
A friend and I were working with them one day - same color pen and TOTALLY different colors when we used them. :wtf:
Oh, I agree and do wish I hadn't bought them. But since I did, I should use them.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

I'm not much of a marker girl as I get better colouring results with watercolour paints. I have a full set of Stampin Up markers that are underused, but they seem to still work fine. I do have some Distress markets and like them for journaling on layouts where I want a softer look than black ink, especially if ive used the same colour inkpad. And as Monica said they do a great watercolor effect with stamps.
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

The distress markers are pretty amazing for watercolor stamping. I have just 4 and still can't believe I stopped at 4. I used them for a while. Maybe someone could post a challenge using markers next month? If I pulled some out and kept them on my desk, I'd probably use them. When Cara was at college, she built quite a collection of the Prismacolor markers. They're all at my house still. Maybe that's why I never felt the need to have all the markers.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

My OLD Zig markers still work great.... not sure why I've ever bought any others over the years.... have to admit that I don't use the brush tip ones, etc. ... but I DO use the regular ones for journaling. I tend to use my browns and blues the most, though... I may need to do a "marker test" one of these days and ditch the dry ones.

I have some Distress ones that I picked up at Tuesday Morning... and I'm starting to play with "watercoloring" some more these days, so I'm sure I'll start putting those to use. And I want to play with the watercolor smushing technique to make those splotches of color on card backgrounds... those Distress markers seem to work well for that, too. But then... so do the inkpads. :-)

You're inspiring us all, Farley!! Maybe 2017 will be the year we all get organized and become more efficient crafters!
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com