Nice Long Weekend

pbp908

Nice Long Weekend

Post by pbp908 »

Except for the threat of rain. Wish I could send it to California and other points west who still need it.

I intend to do a lot of nothing. Well, almost nothing. I gave George the go ahead to buy a new grill he wants that's currently on sale. Question - and this might be a good page title - how many grills does it take to make a man happy???

Alternate question - how much paper does it take to make a woman happy?? :lol:
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
Trixie

Re: Nice Long Weekend

Post by Trixie »

Yeah. You may not want to go there. At least you get a burger out of the deal.

Judy
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

We don't own a grill anymore but I do have a smoker. I might smoke a big platter of veggies and a chicken for Joel. Maybe.

We do have trucks and I have less paper than I did last year. End of that admission.
Pam Cook #48
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

Yeah, he has cars and I have paper! He wins!
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Trixie wrote:Yeah. You may not want to go there. At least you get a burger out of the deal.

Judy

It would have to be a turkey burger. ;)
Pam P.

paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Oh, how many wood crafting machines in the garage does a man need? :lol: But I can't complain with all the amazing pieces of furniture and plantation shutters Bob has made. And all my birding field guides and reference books will soon have a new home.

:cool5:
FARLEY in Sacramento
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

pbp908 wrote:
Trixie wrote:Yeah. You may not want to go there. At least you get a burger out of the deal.

Judy

It would have to be a turkey burger. ;)

I'll send you my bean burger recipe. :D
FARLEY in Sacramento
Keitha

Post by Keitha »

paddlegal wrote:Oh, how many wood crafting machines in the garage does a man need? :lol: But I can't complain with all the amazing pieces of furniture and plantation shutters Bob has made. And all my birding field guides and reference books will soon have a new home. :cool5:
Please share a photo once it's done and loaded up with books. I truly love looking at shelves filled with books I am interested in!
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Keitha wrote:
paddlegal wrote:Oh, how many wood crafting machines in the garage does a man need? :lol: But I can't complain with all the amazing pieces of furniture and plantation shutters Bob has made. And all my birding field guides and reference books will soon have a new home. :cool5:
Please share a photo once it's done and loaded up with books. I truly love looking at shelves filled with books I am interested in!

Will do Keitha. We were just discussing his next move on it for today. It is made from walnut wood he acquired over 3 years ago when a friend with a ranch had to remove his 5, 100 year old trees before something bad happened. I've been looking at 1000 board feet drying in my back yard. About half of it has been used. It's gorgeous wood.
FARLEY in Sacramento
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

Walnut is gorgeous. I love that dense grain.

Please send the recipe, Farley. You know I'm looking and appreciate all of the help.
Pam P.

Trixie

Post by Trixie »

I would love a good bean burger recipe. Please share!
Judy Gunsaulis in WV
#91in the order of PAO
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

Trixie wrote:I would love a good bean burger recipe. Please share!

Okay here is a copy/paste of what I just sent to Pam:

Liike most of my recipes, they are stream-of-consciousness but I’ll do my best on amounts.

Bean Burgers

Ingredients:

3 - 4 small red potatoes cut into wedges, skin still on
2 - 3 cups of cooked brown rice
1 can salt-free red kidney beans rinsed and drained

Steam red potato wedges until good and tender and mashable

in a large bowl combine cooked potatoes, rice and beans. I use a potato masher and mash up the ingredients together. Just like meat burgers, make patties from the blend. I use wax paper folded over the patties to mash and shape into burgers. Refrigerate for an hour or over night. I make as many as I can and freeze the extra patties. It’s wonderful to have them in the freezer for another time. I prefer not to season them until after cooking them if at all.

I grill the patties on my stove top but you’ll have a new grill to do this on. Beware that they can fall apart so a grill pan of some kind is advised.

Along with the burgers I grill sliced portobello mushrooms, thick slices of zucchini, onion and bell pepper. Rather than using a bun (which is just fine to do), I serve them on a bed of chopped spinach and arugula with sliced tomatoes and avocado. Dashes of good mustard is wonderful. I’ll be making this sometime this weekend also.
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

I am curious. Whenever we eat out with the kids, they have veggie burgers. I have never been successful in making any kind of fake burger that doesn't just fall apart. When that happens, I feel I might as well eat the beans in a bowl. Why bother with a burger patty.

So my question (and I think I know your answer), is there anything you consider healthy which you could add to make a patty that doesn't disintegrate? I had this same problem with your lentil loaf. It fell apart so I'd just as soon eat a bowl of lentil soup. I assume you'll say the veggie burgers in restaurants awe unhealthy.
paddlegal

Post by paddlegal »

ScrappinJen wrote:I am curious. Whenever we eat out with the kids, they have veggie burgers. I have never been successful in making any kind of fake burger that doesn't just fall apart. When that happens, I feel I might as well eat the beans in a bowl. Why bother with a burger patty.

So my question (and I think I know your answer), is there anything you consider healthy which you could add to make a patty that doesn't disintegrate? I had this same problem with your lentil loaf. It fell apart so I'd just as soon eat a bowl of lentil soup. I assume you'll say the veggie burgers in restaurants awe unhealthy.

Yep. Veggie burgers whether from store or restaurant generally are full of fats and salt. My burgers stay put together fairly well. Particularly if I make them with just steamed.potatoes. I think that moisture helps. Adding a 1/3 or more of a can of chopped tomatoes will help. I freeze the extra burgers and cooking them goes well also. Sorry my lentil loaf fell apart. I haven't had that problem.
FARLEY in Sacramento
ScrappinJen

Post by ScrappinJen »

So you steam the potatoes until they are like mushy and use that as the "glue?"