Inspriation Wednesday

Debbie J

Re: Inspriation Wednesday

Post by Debbie J »

pbp908 wrote:She has Finnabar (Finnabair?? Dang my spelling.) on her calendar for July. Now that's one I'd love to take. Maybe I'll hit the lottery this year. :lol:
I agree with you, would love to take her class! Wyoming is getting the lottery this year after much ado, so if I win I'll take you with me Pam! ;)
pat-czap

Post by pat-czap »

I have to add my somewhat snarky comment...remember when Donna was a little side kick to Lisa Bearnson (sp?) on QVC? She seemed so out of her element. Now look at her. She's come a long way baby!
It does seem some of these "artists" have become a bit big for their britches...in regards to fees charged, etc. I would never consider paying that kind of money for what they have to offer.
Off my soapbox.
Pat from NW OHIO
Midwest, USA
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I think it's the difference between art as a hobby, and art as a business. And for those that can turn a hobby into a business and still enjoy that activity, then huzzah to them! And the best way to get a following is to start out free. I'm betting she has plenty of loyal followers who will pay her prices, and that's fine. It's business, after all. If she can't find enough people who will pay what she's asking, then she'll have to take a step back and re-evaluate. But if she can make a living with her art, and people are willing to support her at the prices she's charging, then more power to her, I say.

Personally, I'm not the type of person who could ever make a living off of a hobby. I can't remember if Donna has always been an artist by trade, or if she started out as a hobbyist, but I know that if I tried to turn my hobby into something that my mortgage depended on, it would cease to become interesting, and quick. At that point, it's an obligation, and obligations are stressful (to me). So whatever Donna does, and wherever this takes her, I do hope she can keep at it without burning out. She is a real talent and provides lots of inspiration, even if it's no longer free. :-o

And yes, there will always be plenty to be found on YouTube and Pinterest.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
Debbie J

Post by Debbie J »

I think she was making a fine living. My opinion is its a matter of greed. I'm glad she's successful and making a good living for her family and it is definitely a business as it supports her family, but she was making a wonderful living for her family before her changes too......sometimes that's just not enough. If she has the consumer base to support this then go for it, she just won't be getting any support from this consumer.
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

She doesn't get any money from me either, but the difference is, she never has. I guess that's why I'm not bugged by her choices. One could make the same types of statements about most famous designer types. I mean, I've never in my life purchased a purse that cost more than about $30. I'm currently still carrying the one I made out of Nicole's old blue jeans, and it desperately needs repairs. But it holds things, so I'm good. I will never ever ever comprehend spending $500 on a purse. A. PURSE. I'd bet Kate Spade could continue to lead a very nice life even if charging a reasonable price for her purses. The profit margin on those things has to be insane. Yet, if there are people who will pay $500+ for a purse, then why shouldn't she go ahead and charge those people who have more money than sense? Same for Jimmy Choo shoes. I will never get it, and as a consumer, I'm free to decide that there are more effective ways to spend my hard-earned money.

Donna is just doing what all designers do. They work with people who figure out what the max amount that people are willing to pay for a brand, and then charge it. And I simply can't blame her for milking it for all it's worth. Sure, that doesn't help those folks who were her loyal fans and can now no longer afford to even think about her - it just makes her the same as every other popular designer out there. And I don't give my money to ANY of them.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO