Thoughts about becoming a Stamping Up demonstrator?

nchoney

Thoughts about becoming a Stamping Up demonstrator?

Post by nchoney »

So - I was thinking long and hard over my holiday break about becoming a Stampin' Up Demonstrator. We have one in the area who has been bugging me about becoming one because kept saying she only wanted to stay active to keep her purchasing discount. She has been dealing with a lot of home issues and not having parties much for quite a few months. There's one group of ladies that my friend, Helen, got started coming to the library community room when she and I started hosting parties a few years ago. So... I emailed that Demonstrator... thinking she'd be thrilled that I was finally taking the leap. Her response was more along the lines that she didn't want to "lose her group" and she'd have to think about it.

Seriously.... "her group"? She hasn't done a party in over 5 months.... she told me it was someone else's "turn" when I asked to host one in October.... she never even told any of us about the 25% off sale on some sets back in October... nor has she told us anything about the sale blitzes. She's not set up on the SU website so I can't even order through her if I wanted to. She emailed some of us in November and said she was going to be placing an order... in case we wanted to buy anything. Since she had already shot down my party offer... I politely said no... and bought all my gifts elsewhere.

The demonstrations have amounted to her bringing the pre-cut supplies to make a card or two and then she sits down and tallies orders. I'd just like to offer more to this group of ladies. It's certainly not a matter of me needing more scrapping supplies. LMAO

Maybe I should just offer to teach scrapbooking classes. Anyone have any thoughts to toss into this decision-making process?

My answer to her email was that we'd talk about a January party when she got back home again.

I think basically she doesn't want to lose the gravy-train... but she's lost me. I'm willing to order anything I want/need from someone else. There are several demonstrators online who have videos that have given me more ideas than this lady ever has. I was going to just drop the whole idea... but the more I think about it, the more ticked off I get.

Any other home-party type companies out there other than Close to My Heart? I'd go that route, but I don't want to start investing in Cricut stuff... which is their form of diecut products. I'm not tied to SU... they do have a good product.... but I'd be just as happy creating kits of my own to demo at a scrapbook class. I didn't jump into the Club Scrap party idea, since people had to pay ahead of time for materials sight-unseen. Our island economy is a bit too tight for me to do that.

I'm pretty much ready to not go to any more of the parties at this point. I wind up helping half the group and spending money I didn't "need" to spend. And then get told that it's not my turn to have a party... and that she has to think about whether I should become a demonstrator. yeah... I'm close to being done with it all.

any thoughts would help, though...
Debi Daugherty
IT Director by day... Scrapper by night
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
http://debid.weebly.com
jmp1022

Re: Thoughts about becoming a Stamping Up demonstrator?

Post by jmp1022 »

talk to Cheryl she is one now.
Jill P
# 42 in order PAO
http://jmp1022.blogspot.com/

Northeast Illinois
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I would sign up under Cheryl. If she doesn't want to sign you up, let me know. I know another demonstrator who is very active and would be great support.

If this woman is so negligent to her customers, she's not going to be any help to you. Do you want your sales to pay her salary? I wouldn't.
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

That was kinda my take, too.... not wanting her to make money off my efforts...

I don't want to rock the boat much down here though... it's a small island when feuds start. If I start under someone else, then folks will just start getting snarky down here... that won't be nice for anyone.
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

I really like the idea of someone who teaches classes without being tied to any particular product. It's always seemed to me that the market for any particular product is going to dry up pretty quickly. Once you've exhausted your initial circle of friends and their friends, it seems like there's only so much one can do in the way of new product business for your existing customers.

But, if you were acting as more of a designer, it seems like that business would be very sustainable. You could use whatever is trending - not just stamps or paper, or whatever. Think of people like Michelle Zindorf. She's a Stampin Up demonstrator, but that's not what I paid hundreds of $$ to learn how to do. It was her brayer technique - which could have been accomplished with any type of stamp and any line of dye ink. Obviously, during your demonstrations you could suggest your favorite products to accomplish that particular task, but people would be paying for your instruction - not the product itself. At parties, you only make money if people buy something. But if you're not pushing a product, you can charge for a class and basically keep everything above the cost of supplies. I saw you said you're not really in it for the profit, but it's something to consider.

Anyway - if you really want to do Stampin Up in particular - like others said - talk to Cheryl. But if you can do various technique classes, I think you'd be much better off.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

I'm kinda leaning toward the techniques classes.... if folks still want to have SU parties, then they'd be more than able to do that... but... there are SO many cool things out there .... and I could move away from greeting cards, too... that's got my creative juices going... I could provide supplies from any number of places ... and if it was with the group at the south end of our island, I could pull in lots of the good deals I find at Tuesday Morning.... they rarely head up that way.... AND it'd give me a good way to get more use out of my dies, etc.

So ... hmmm.... leaning in that direction, I think.... I used to teach classes at the scrapbook store up at this end of the county.... but it might be fun to do things down on the island without being tied to anything...

good comments, everybody.... keep 'em coming...
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

When you're independent you aren't limited by a corporation...
Pam Cook #48
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

very true....

and I'd sure be able to use some of my new presents I got for birthday and Christmas.... dies... and perfect pearls to make shiny mists... and and and... oh... and a ton of Distress Inks...
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
Monica

Post by Monica »

I agree regarding the techniques type classes. I would totally take those if someone in my area offered them! You could charge a flat fee for the classes, explaining that it is to cover the expense of class supplies, which should include any consumables such as inks, papers, ribbons, adhesive, etc. You could also require a basic supplies kit to be brought by each attendee, like the one required for all CKC classes. I think this would be better fit for what you are trying to do, and it sounds like you'd have a good group to do this with. A

As far as SU, I order from Cheryl when I need something. ;) Helping a PAO sister! I would cut ties with the flaky lady entirely. If she's too lazy to set up the online ordering bit to make it easier for you to order products and her to earn money, then you have no reason to be loyal to her.
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
pbp908

Post by pbp908 »

I like the idea of technique classes, too. I'm a lot more prone to go where I can learn something that I am to a "party" atmosphere where I feel pushed to purchase. There's too many great products out there to be tied down to just one line. As far as purchasing SU products, I'm sure Cheryl would be more than happy to take your order, and she's so great about sharing what she's doing with everyone, like the beautiful ornaments she made. I'm sitting here thinking about technique classes that would be fun. You have dies and loads of Distress Inks, so one class could be your version of Tim's tag of the month. Another could be Christy's distress techniques. We could keep you busy with ideas if you run out of inspiration, but somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

One of the best classes that I ever took was a Christmas album made using the box and folding album from Oriental Trading. It was gorgeous and I'd love to do another class using different techniques on that.

Go for it and to heck with Ms. Snarky.
Pam P.
Number 5 In the Order of PAO

http://www.pamsmeanderingthoughts.blogspot.com
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

you all are awesome, ya know that?? :-)

I'll be sure to let you know what I decide! My creative juices are flowing!
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

Don't be afraid of charging a reasonable rate for your time and instructions. Remember, you will invest a lot of time preparing. Factor it in.
Pam Cook #48
mpizzazz

Post by mpizzazz »

I third or fourth what has already been said. It's not just selling, it is teaching! That is why we are all here! Tying yourself to one company is 'tying yourself to one company'. You don't strike me as that kind of girl, you're a more "runs with scissors" kind of girl so go for it!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
EDelValle

Post by EDelValle »

There's a young mother here in Bklyn that started
a group on Meetup,com. I don't know if you have that down your
way, she's a SU demonstrator who also doesn't have a
presence on the SU site, but she does classes every so many
weeks at a local volunteer storefront, the cost of the class
depends upon what is going to be made, for simple cards
it's $10.00 a person, for more intricate projects the price is
higher. She'll design several cards, and have packets ready
for participants to chose color combos, so not everyone is the same,
but she uses different products in her classes, the vast majority is
SU but she has a lot of different items that she brings to allow
variety, she'll have stamps, inks, embossing folders, etc
we even made infinity scarves with a fabric flower from teeshirts one week,
resin pendants, headbands with flowers from the Tim Holtz dies and
micro-beads glued on to make the embellished flowers
there are always about 10 to 12 participants and always a mix of
different participants. She calls the group, Rubber, Paper, Ink - Stampers and Crafters
Folks learn of the classes through Meet up if they've searched
for anything in the area or that type of group meetup sends a registered
person an email letting them know about what the class is going to be and will they
attend, participants pay for the class through paypal, so she doesn't have to worry
about collecting on the day of the class
Be Yourself, Everyone else is taken

Elizabeth in Brooklyn
nchoney

Post by nchoney »

more good ideas.... thanks!
Debi Daugherty
Mrs. Fire Chief

Layouts