Gelatos vs watercolor crayons

Yoli

Gelatos vs watercolor crayons

Post by Yoli »

You ladies are always a great source of information. I hope you can help me with this one.

I want to try a few of Donna Downey's projects. She often uses gelatos on her projects. I have some watercolor crayons. I've been trying to find some info on the difference between the two products. I know the gelatos are water soluble and blend well with water but so do my watercolor crayons. So what the difference? Do I need to treat/finish gelatos so it doesnt smear afterwards?
ChristyB

Re: Gelatos vs watercolor crayons

Post by ChristyB »

the gelatos don't smear after use.
They are creamier than watercolor crayons. Most of the techniques can be done interchangeably between the 2 products.
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

Hmmmmmmmm. I want to make an artist journal so perhaps its best I invest in the gelatos. I saw a set of 12 on HSN for $22.15 (s&h included) which seems like a good deal since I found a set of 4 at Ben Franklin for $12.

If anyone knows of a better price please let me know.

Thanks Christy for the info.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Go to Joanne's---kids art section----package of 12 around 10-12 dollars!!
jfugina

Post by jfugina »

Gelatos in the kids section? I'll be darned.. never would have thought to look there.
Julie Fugina
#26 in the order of the PAO
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

jfugina wrote:Gelatos in the kids section? I'll be darned.. never would have thought to look there.
Yep, I got the set of 12 and the metallics at JoAnns in the kid section!
pamcook

Post by pamcook »

I need to go shopping at Joann's. I love the metallics.
Pam Cook #48
Monica

Post by Monica »

Yoli wrote:Hmmmmmmmm. I want to make an artist journal so perhaps its best I invest in the gelatos. I saw a set of 12 on HSN for $22.15 (s&h included) which seems like a good deal since I found a set of 4 at Ben Franklin for $12.

If anyone knows of a better price please let me know.

Thanks Christy for the info.
Yoli, try Aaron Bros. in the kids' art section. I got mine at the one in Issaquah a last month when I came over to see you all.
They even come in a nice plastic case!
Monica
No. 28 in the Order of PAO
Chief Bearer of the Torch and Admin
capescrapper

Post by capescrapper »

Hi Yoli,

First I have to say, I have never used water color crayons.

But I have used Gelatos and LOVE THEM TO PIECES!! The metallics are my fave!!
I did get mine both thru Club Scrap when they came in the WOW and when they have sold a few sets on line as well. Not sure how it compares to the $$ in stores.
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

I've looked at our Joann's and they don't carry them. Must be a local thing as to whether they carry them.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

I looked in the kids section at my local Joanns. I did not find gelatos but I found something that looks like the gelatos also made by Faber Castell. I think they may be watercolor crayons though.

I also visited the kids section at a local Aaron Bro store. The gal I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about. I'll try another store.
azemigh

Post by azemigh »

those faber castell one's you found in the kids section are the gelatos. I think they're called gel sticks though, but they are exactly the same thing. I found them out in the big display of back to school stuff at JoAnn's
Yoli

Post by Yoli »

Awesome! :cool5: No one at the stores could tell me what the difference was but it looked just like the ones Monica showed me. Thank you!
clamscrapper

Post by clamscrapper »

Thanks for the info, I'll go look again.
Carol M (NC)

Check me out.
http://clamscrapperstudio.blogspot.com/

ImageImage
ChristyB

Post by ChristyB »

azemigh wrote:those faber castell one's you found in the kids section are the gelatos. I think they're called gel sticks though, but they are exactly the same thing. I found them out in the big display of back to school stuff at JoAnn's

Rachelle nailed it.
They were actually the first set I ever bought , 2$ on clearance at Target. Little did I know then the deal I was getting ;)