Questions from an ATC Newbie

mpizzazz

Questions from an ATC Newbie

Post by mpizzazz »

I'm not really an ATC maker but I signed up for the swap in NC in March. I also was working on the Deck of Art when we were doing that and those are basically ATCs. I am wondering if any of you experienced ATCers can share some tips about what kinds of substrata to use and the order of doing techniques.

As one question example, for the NC ATCs I am using tissue box cardboard for the fronts. I want to add a collaged paper to the back with the ATC info stamped on it. I was given an ATC stamp for the backs of cards and this is my first time using it. I gessoed over the collage to tone it down so should I put matte gel medium over it before I stamp the backing stamp and write in the info? I'm afraid if I stamp and write first, it will all run.

I noticed while doing the magazine page ATCs in the Bernie Berlin topic that there is a big difference in weight of the paper. Some of it really needs to be glued to something substantial. What paper or cardboard do you recommend for gluing magazine pictures to? Some seem to wrinkle a lot and others don't.

Do you always use gel medium or something else as a glue? What is the best way to avoid buckling?

Would you 'pros' be willing to share some of your experience with us newbies? Please!
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com
ChristyB

Re: Questions from an ATC Newbie

Post by ChristyB »

I usually back all my ATCs with recycled cardboard from cereal boxes etc. I have found that even with that sometimes there is buckling and I have a stack of books that I stick them under for a day or 2.

For most of my collage images I use gel medium, but you are right the weights of the papers are all different and some will wrinkle or warp more than others. Which is frustrating as I have yet to find the PERFECT adhesive for everything.

As for your backs if you gesso them and stamp with an ink like staz-on it will not run no matter what you do to it after. Then if you still want to put a layer or 2 of gel medium over it's all good.
(I have found staz-on to be the almost perfect ink for stamping on paint--dries quick & clean)
mpizzazz

Re: Questions from an ATC Newbie

Post by mpizzazz »

Now, how did I know you would be the first to respond, Christie? :cool5:
Thanks very much for your info. I guess I didn't have this problem working on the Deck of Art as the cards made a very good base. Now I am just winging it and haven't thought it through enough. I will try to remember to start with the tissue or cereal box carboard as that does seem to make a good firm base.
marianne
#57 in the order of PAO

Our travels
http://ratbagp.blogspot.com